how to get my 14' specialized epic expert lighter!

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mtb4007

by mtb4007

I spend countless hours on this forum so decided to hit the sign up button for once.

I've seen a few posts similar to this one but was just wondering if anyone could tell me if they've in the same situation of trying to lighten up a specialized ST and how they went about it. Im from nz so heres the specs I have to work with.

The first things that come to mind are the
1. grips
2.stem
3. bars?

then look into cassettes, brakes etc. I haven't looked into the wheelset yet but being carbon thats definately a plus. the other option is going single ring. any help would be awesome, cheers!

STEM
Specialized XC, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 6-degree rise, 31.8mm clamp

HANDLEBARS
Specialized XC, flat bar, 2014 butted alloy, 700mm wide, 8-degree backsweep, 31.8mm

GRIPS
Specialized Sip Grip, light lock-on, half-waffle aramid-infused, S/M: regular, Others: XL thickness

FRONT BRAKE
Magura MTS, hydraulic disc, Hi Friction pad, alloy caliper, Storm SL rotor, L/XL: 180mm rotor

REAR BRAKE
Magura MTS, hydraulic disc, Hi Friction pad, alloy caliper, Storm SL rotor, 160mm rotor

BRAKE LEVERS
Magura MTS, carbon master cylinder, alloy lever blade, hollow lever pivot, reach adj.

FRONT DERAILLEUR
Custom SRAM, 10-speed, high direct-mount

REAR DERAILLEUR
Shimano Shadow Plus XTR, 10-speed, GS mid cage

SHIFT LEVERS
Shimano SLX, 10-speed, trigger

CASSETTE
SRAM PG-1050, 10-speed, 11-36

CHAIN
SRAM PC 1051, 10-speed, PowerLink

CRANKSET
Custom SRAM carbon S-2200, 10-speed XC double, PF30 spindle, removable spider, S: 170mm, Others: 175mm

BOTTOM BRACKET
SRAM PF30, OS press-in bearings, sealed cartridge

RIMS
Roval Control Carbon 29, carbon disc, hookless bead, 27mm wide, 32h

FRONT HUB
Roval Control Carbon 29, 15mm thru-axle, 32h

REAR HUB
Roval Control Carbon 29 142+, DT Swiss Star Ratchet, 12mm thru-axle, 32h

SPOKES
DT Swiss Super Comp, 2.0/1.65/1.8 stainless

FRONT TYRE
S-Works Fast Trak, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.0", foldable aramid bead, 120 TPI

REAR TYRE
Specialized Fast Trak Control, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.0", foldable aramid bead, 60 TPI

SADDLE
Body Geometry Phenom Comp, hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm

SEATPOST
Specialized 2014 butted alloy, single bolt setback, 27.2mm, S/M: 350mm, Others: 400mm

SEAT BINDER
Specialized 7050 hard anodized alloy, single bolt, 31.8mm

ophiravina

by ophiravina

Dont change the stem, I checked the weight of mine and it's 117 g for a 105mm long (light).
On my bike (stumpjumper comp carbon) I changed the saddle to a 95 g carbon one and changed the seatpost to a carbon one...
The original seatpost weighted around 270 g, and the original saddle weighted 278 g....
I also changed the brakes to XT becouse the magura MTS couldn't stop the bike (my weight is 68 kg). It increasd the weight of the bike a little but it was worth it.
In the future I will change the shifters to XTR and the cassate to XT/XTR (both will be lighter than the original one).

I hope that you understood my poor english... and I hope that I helped you. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Colin

by Colin

Bars(MT Zoom XL), grips (ESI), post(KCNC, New Ultimate, etc.), chain(KMC X10SL), and cassette (XX or KCNC Ti) will all shed a bit. You could also swap the cranks for the S-Works cranks.
Personally, I'd swap the shifters for some XTR shifters. It won't save tons of weight, but, in my opinion, the XTR shifters have a much nicer feel.

weekapaugin

by weekapaugin

IMO, the most obvious "heavy" parts on that bike are the PG-1050 cassette and chain. Going to XX level will probably save you over 100 grams. From what I've seen elsewhere the stock epic alloy post is usually around 280g, which isn't light, but you'll have to look for more expensive carbon posts to shed weight (crank bros cobalt 11, ritchey wcs, or the more boutique brands).

TheRookie

by TheRookie

My cheap (£15) carbon seatpost is the same size and 230g better ones lighter still, Ti railed saddle will knock off 100g as well.

Definately agree on the cassette, easy close to 100g there.

Grips, no brainer.

Carbon bars will probably save over 100G.

Don't forget the seatpost clamp/binder, easy to halve the weight there, although the absolute saving isn't huge, that or the best QR's weigh the same as many basic bolted!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

mtb4007

by mtb4007

Thanks for that guys. great help! Im trying to do it on the fairly cheap so will definitely look into it. Im 59kgs race weight so lugging around an extra 2kgs on the bike is really noticeable!

cheers :thumbup:

Sisbud

by Sisbud

Get Schwalbe Furious Fred 29"" Tire
These tires are only 310 gram per tyre. it would help to reduce a substantial amount of weight from your bike straight away.
Get Eclipse inner tube for the tube as well. They are only 50 gram each.
Change the seatpost to a carbon one
And get the Sram XX 11-36 cassette

Getter

by Getter

Go tubeless...that dropped half a pound immediately.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Tubeless will save you ~200 g. The nice thing is your specialized comes stock with tubeless rim strips and you should have gotten a set of valves.

Next should be single ring up front. Should save ~400 g.

Then post, handlebar, cassette, and you can start changing some steel bolts for Ti..
Tires you can go to the S-Works casing.