Is 6.5kg too light

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

edson83

by edson83

Is really impressive how mtb can be light weight nowadays, are we priorizing lightness rather than stiffness and safety?

I just can't imagine such a bike in a singletrack, crossing a garden rock and stuff like that.

For me it's is a pretty especific bike what is not recommended for the majority of us once it is expensive and fragile.

Of course I would love to have one to show off, but not for put it on the trails.

My bike actually is 9.7kg. For me and for my purpose it combines the lightness with stiffness.

Anyway, I must recognize that is amazing see light bikes around :)

Look these beauties from Weight Weenies Brasil:

- 5.898kg hardtail
http://www.weightweenies.com.br/blog/PH ... dalpro.jpg

- 7.840kg full
http://www.weightweenies.com.br/blog/?p=1526

cerro

by cerro

edson83: Priority. You have to know what you want and need. Not get anything more and minimize everything. Then it doesn't have to be so fragile even if it's light. LAN showed me that today with shifters integrated in the grips. A bit lighter than normal and less fragile.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tskubi

by tskubi

@edson83 : my 6,99 FM038 full rigid ain't fragile at all. I'd be more concerned with a bike under 6kg, first with saloon tires ;)
Jonas is right, try for yourself. for example, the Ax lightness material are some of the most rigid in the industry..
Enjoy your time under the sun.. and when its cold and dark don't worry too much, the world will keep spinning and your time in the sun will come again.

DanW

by DanW

I agree with Cerro and tskubi- Nowadays a light bike doesn't have to be expensive and fragile.

The examples posted up by edson 83 indeed look a little flakey and have some parts I wouldn't be super confident riding day in day out. However, I recently built a 8.2kg full sus (from all new parts- nothing secondhand) for less money in total than I was going to spend on a Santa Cruz frame alone! Granted 8.2kg is not crazy light but it is lighter than the hardtails most people race let alone full sus and it was done on a tight budget.

Final weight on the Scalpel should be 7.8kg without any Schmolke, Extralite, etc. Still within a reasonable budget and no parts that I would happily let a chunky friend have a ride on :D

We are really lucky that we have so many light, cheap and strong parts to pick from nowadays. Schmolke and Tune are no longer the only options and Keith Bontrgaer's "light strong chep, pick two" doesn't really apply any more. It is all about making careful choices and doing your research. Most most recent find for the Scalpel build is an 135g seatpost (31.6x350) for just £60. That was unthinkable not too long back!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

My local shp is routinely building Open 29ers under 7kg without any really exotic parts. I did ride one true beauty they had with Acros hydraulic shifting, tubular wheels, and AX Lightness parts which came in under 6kg. I think I have some pictures of it somewhere.

njee20

by njee20

Rubbish. 7kg isn't 'normal' for a bike with gears and suspension, without some serious exotica or some very light parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanW

by DanW

Rubbish. 7kg isn't 'normal' for a bike with gears and suspension, without some serious exotica or some very light parts.

Totally agree.

Open do off the peg Lefty/ XX1 build which they say is 7.3kg but everything is AX-Lightness/ Claviculas/ etc. That is pretty damn exotic and as weightweenie/ potentially fragile as parts comes. The more "sensible" version with Enve everything (still pretty damn exotic and expensive) and Acros shifting is 8.3kg claimed. The rigid, without pedals mind, is claimed 6.4kg and again that is covered in AX stuff. Lauf/ AX, 6.6kg claimed no pedals. I'd be very surprised to see a sub 7kg bike built easily without any exotica and including pedals.... especially a 29er!

I think the lack of interest in the uberlight is best indicated by this 6850g build only getting 8 comments here on WW!

It is really an amazing achievement and swap the tyres and I think most people would ride it. Yet very little interest. Strange.

moshinho

by moshinho

What seatpost is this?

"Most most recent find for the Scalpel build is an 135g seatpost (31.6x350) for just £60."

DanW

by DanW

What seatpost is this?

It is usually tastefully branded "Climax" on ebay :D The same sellers often have posts without graphics for sale too.

I was struggling to find a light, good value post when I stumbled across the seatpost on LAN's excellent build http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=115344

dukezpol

by dukezpol

here will be my Open with no exotic parts at all, landing probably in 7,65 kg area with Lefty and on quite heavy tires
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=122295

cerro

by cerro

dukezpol: What do you mean with no exotic parts at all? MCFK steerer, THM Carbones crankset, Bebop. Pretty exotic parts compared to a normal build with a regular fork, Sram XX1 crank and XTR pedals or Eggbeater

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

njee20 wrote:Rubbish. 7kg isn't 'normal' for a bike with gears and suspension, without some serious exotica or some very light parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These bikes are rigid... carbon forks. Otherwise, fairly standard builds with 2x10 or 1x11 drivetrains. Rotor cranks and Enve cockpit components and wheels.

I think "exotic" is a term that means different things to different people. If you can afford them, THM components are not particularly exotic... especially among weight weenies. Some people find XTR exotic simply because it is out of their price range.
Last edited by xnavalav8r on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Here are some photos of the bike I test-rode. This one was 7kg with suspension fork and no pedals. I don't have pics of the lighter bike with the rigid fork. But it's on display at the shop. Maybe I can snap some pics next time I am there.

DanW

by DanW

I think "exotic" is a term that means different things to different people. If you can afford them, THM components are not particularly exotic... especially among weight weenies. Some people find XTR exotic simply because it is out of their price range.

Agree XTR can be "exotic" for some, but Claviculas are the lightest, most expensive, most weightweenie cranks out there. Same with AX stuff. If Schmolke/ AX/ Clavs are not exotic then what is? It isn't just a case of those items being expensive but that that are the leading weenie parts. There isn't anything lighter even if money were no object.

This one was 7kg with suspension fork and no pedals.

Highly, highly skeptical of that to say the least! I'll eat my words with a scale shot but no way is that 7kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

When I looked at it, I doubted about the weight too. It should be heavier than 7 Kg with those parts.