steel bike, geometry and performance

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TheRookie

by TheRookie

So that puts you within 8mm, which you can probably take up on the rails, now you just need to keep the bars at the same height!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

HA is pretty much the same, WB the same, logic says to move the saddle back to the same effective place lengthening the cockpit and he'll be in the same place on the same WB....or is that too obvious?

While a greater setback post on the small frame can give the same cockpit length you are changing the saddle/ pedal relationship which IMO should be fixed in the correct biomechanical position and reach only adjusted with different stems. However people move their saddles all over the place and don't die so whatever works for you I guess

Also with a different ETT you change the weight distribution over the bike so the handling riding out of the saddle in particular may feel a bit off.

I don't know if any of these things might be noticeable but are the issues to consider IMO

TheRookie

by TheRookie

As the HA is near enough identical and the WB the same, the weight distribution will be the same, I agree about the BB position though, will be 20mm further forward relative to saddle and grips which may or may not be an issue (or even be an improvement...)
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

devinci

by devinci

if going the medium route, would the changes in geometry compared to my current bike make a big difference in handling? Im trying to forget about the weight ;P