2013 Cannondale Flash SI SL Crank retrofit doesn't work?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

I have a 2013 Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er 3 that I am trying to put a SI SL crankset on. The crank was originally a road crankset so I had the shop order the longer spindle and a Sram XX 2x10 spider and chain rings, but I've run into a problem. The 39T chain ring is too big to clear the Sram X7 direct mount front derailleur. I have a Shimano XT M786 front derailleur sitting in a box so I can switch the X7 derailleur to the XT one. Does anyone know if this will work or what I need to do in order to get this to work?

The shop wanted to either order a different spider kit that is a 2x10 or 3x10 spider with a 104mm bolt pattern so I could run a 38T ring which would clear the front derailleur. The other alternative was different chain rings but it sounds like rings for the 120mm(I'm not sure that's right?) bolt pattern but there are not a lot of options?

Thanks!
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

You probably need the 64 bcd spider. Most mountain bikes are counting on smaller chainrings than road bikes and the chainstays are wider to fit fat tires.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Pictures, and more info about what spindle was ordered, which spacers/dust covers are being used, etc would be helpful

jooo

by jooo

Sounds like either a spindle length issue or you've got the wrong FD. SiSL cranks with an XX spider generally don't have any clearance problems themselves thanks to the wide chainline the XX runs. Your chainrings aren't huge either so I'd imagine it's the FD. There are heaps of direct mount options so make sure you've got the right one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

The stock S1000 crankset comes with a 38T chain ring and it works fine with the X7 direct mount derailleur.

Switching the SI SL crankset in the XX spider and rings use a 39T chain ring. What's happening is that when you go to shift it into the big ring the derailleur cage is not able to clear the big ring.

The spindle is 162mm and it's not the problem.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago