treuk superfly g2 forks ?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

michel2

by michel2

hi all,
i got a superfly and i would like to upgrade to a new fork,a 2014 sid currently using the stock fox.
according to trek the fork has a different offset, which the steering should benefit from.

now im wondering if anyone here has ever replaced there forks on a trek superfly with different forks and what there experience are ?
thanks, mick

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The blessing/bane of any Trek owner is the G2 fork. G2 is trademarked, I believe, but is a 51mm offset, so you can look for that in the alternative. The "perk" of the G2 fork is that the geometry will make the larger 29er tire handle more like a 26 or 27.5 tire, while giving you the clearance of the 29er (obviously). The problem is that those forks are so damned hard to find that you'll pay a premium, even for a used fork.

I bought a used Fox Float 32 29er FIT for $300, but it already needs a rebuild (leaking from the seals, and given the unknown past of the fork, I'll send it in to Fox to rebuild this time). The rebuild runs about $125, and includes new seals, lube and internals. Not a bad deal, compared to the local shop wanting $85 just for the seals.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with a standard Fox or RockShox fork, and skip the G2 fork (unless I found a deal).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

michel2

by michel2

Im not quite sure if i understand you correclty, did you buy a g2 or a non g2 f

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I bought a G2 fork, but you can definitely go with a standard fork. The G2 forks usually command a premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free