XT M739 vs XT M750 vs Avid Arch Supreme **-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jucahi

by jucahi

Hello, im JC and theres this question thats been killing me .... i have 2 extra v-brake sets laying around and i wanna know which one should i put on my bike - i like the look of the Shimano better , and i dont have a scale :( so i thought about getting some feedback from the weight guys in here.....

i have a set of deore xt M739 and a set of deore xt M750 v brakes ..... i know i should go for the newer ones ....both seem to be in the same conditions except for some rust on the old ones, i was wondering which ones should i put on? i saw the chart in here for brakes and seems that the newer ones are heavier than the 739's ??? ... is there any difference mechanical wise? newer ones stop you better to compensate the weight?

i know the avids i got on are super light and compare to XTR i've been told , and that they're also rolling on bearings ..... i think they're nice, but i do like the shimano look better for my Cannondale F1000SL .....

please yelp! :)

:roll:

small screenshot software

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

No power difference, the leverage ratio is all that really matters, weight is only very small changes and differences could be due to the pad, I'd just fit whichever took my fancy.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

jucahi

by jucahi

TheRookie wrote:No power difference, the leverage ratio is all that really matters, weight is only very small changes and differences could be due to the pad, I'd just fit whichever took my fancy.

THNKS!

that would be the newer XT's then (the M750) .... was hunting for XTR's but they're rare and ppl usually want an eye for them lol.
wonder if i could get some bucks for the avid ....

leverage ratio huh? interesting...
my dirty beach lol ( 2000 C'dale F1000SL )
http://postimg.org/gallery/25p7povi/faa9d30f/

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Leverage ratio, length of arm from pivot to cable attachement divided by length of arm from pivot to brake pad gives you the leverage ratio.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

michel2

by michel2

have had all three of them, the later xt brake the hardest, by far. the arch supreme brakes are a work of art but there is a lot of flex in those machine arms.the xt mark1 vee's will more hten likely ratle and squeal, dont really want them.
what is are you going to run them on,caad4 ?

jucahi

by jucahi

michel2 wrote:have had all three of them, the later xt brake the hardest, by far. the arch supreme brakes are a work of art but there is a lot of flex in those machine arms.the xt mark1 vee's will more hten likely ratle and squeal, dont really want them.
what is are you going to run them on,caad4 ?

the Avid Arch supreme ARE nice and friggen LIGHTWEIGHT (with brake pads on, still feel lighter than the XT's without pads LOL). yah it does feel a little flexy .... but somehow it gave me a good feel like a softer brake instead of a firm feel ... i do think they're still stronger than this XT's tho ... and yes i replaced cable housing and cables ........ BUT ..... this is something ppl dont say when they own them, besides being awesome ...... they're a PAIN IN THE @$s lol. unless you run 2.0 tires, or narrower , you just wont be able to get'em out of the bike without deflating the tire .... thats the whole reason why i bought the 2 XT brake sets ... followed you guys's advises and put on the newer ones (that also had less rust).
thank you guys ! :)

YES , its my baby .... its a 2000 F1000SL CAAD 4...... i got this bike a long time ago when it was still a top of the line machine ..... now with new technology coming out every year, it might seen a little odd .... but hey she's a mighty one still .... :D
here she is.... very dirty right now cause i just came back from testing the brakes :D
screen shot pc
my dirty beach lol ( 2000 C'dale F1000SL )
http://postimg.org/gallery/25p7povi/faa9d30f/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com