Single Speed 26er help

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

KazzA

by KazzA

Hi, I am thinking of buying a Lynskey Ridgeline SS (used 2010 model) and was really hoping to get some feedback from anyone who rides a ss mountain bike. Am I as crazy as my wife says I am or will it be as much fun as I think it will be.....?? How bad will climbing really be.....

Thanks for any comments!
KazzA :beerchug:
2011 Cervelo S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andrewh8877

by andrewh8877

Depends where you live. An SS is a huge amount of fun but it can be a drag on really big hills. It will change your riding style,(particularly for the climbs)
Where I live isn't very hilly and I find that I miss the top speed more than the climbing ability. Mine is rigid and I miss suspension more than I miss the gears.
Mine is mainly a winter bike. Rigid forks, one gear and hydraulic brakes, there is nothing to go wrong with it, I can ride it all day every day with very little maintenance. You should definately have an SS, but probably not as your only bike.
http://www.andrewhowett.blogspot.co.uk/ ... -bike.html My current one.
More advise, if you are going rigid, carbon bars and forks and foam grips will make the experiance much, much better.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I am almost 60 years old and I have 5 MTB's. I have a full suspension, a hardtail, 2 hardtail SS's and a full rigid SS. I ride me SS's 80% of the time. It makes you a better rider, it gives you more workout in your workout, it teaches you to preserve momentum. Unless you ride really gnarly stuff, you can learn to ride it SS and you will really enjoy the accomplishment. I don't ride really gnarly stuff since at my age it takes too long to recover from injuries. Also, all my bikes are 29ers and I will tell you that 29er and SS go together since the larger wheels help you over stuff almost more than gears do.
I never thought I would like/be a SS'er. I had a Jet9 and they recalled it and Niner would sell us a frame to get us through at a ridiculous price. So I bought a Sir9 direct from Niner as part of the recall for something like $300 for an $850 frame. I put my Jet parts on is since it was going to be many months for the new Jet frame. One weekend, I decided to switch it to SS just to try it. I wasn't that crazy about it and switched the frame back. A few months later, I thought I would try again. This time "I figured it out". What a revelation! I rode it SS until my new Jet frame arrived and then I built it up and kept 2 bikes. After the Jet came back, I barely rode it compared to the SS Sir9. That was about 5 years ago and my fleet has grown.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Rather than getting a Ti 26er, I would get a "probably cheaper" steel 29er or if the budget allows an aluminum or carbon 29er. You can get used Karate Monkey's for fairly cheep. Also, Kona Units, and others. In fact, for Ti money a Sir9 is easily obtainable and way nicer than a Karate Monkey or Unit. Or if you are interested in only a SS, a One9 is about as good as it gets. I have the newest Air9Carbon ( set up ss) and a One9 (gen 3 Scandium with the clover stays) as my 2 SS hardtails and they are both the best of all worlds. In fact, the last year SS world champ was on an Air9Carbon; but I have to say (and I saw a review for a Cat 1 racer that said the old Scandium One9 was very close). And currently my personal best for my home course is on the Scandium One9.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.