Lefty + Syntace FlatForce Stem = ?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

maxle

by maxle

Hey crazy Guys,
first of all, sorry for my bad english. I have a question for you:
Is anybody in here, who tried to combinate a Leftyfork with Syntace new stem called "Flatforce" ( and a "normal" 31,8 Flathandlebar ) ? I guess there might be a problem of contact between bar and lefty. So if anyone knows, please tell me...
Kind regards from germany,
maxle
You only own a bike when you've violated every single term of guarantee.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I haven't tried this exact combo, but I have tried something like it: I was trying to see how short I could make the stem so that my wife could borrow my bike. The bike has an MCFK 6 degree bar and the shortest I have been able to run is a 90mm 6 degree stem (RaceFace Turbine). I tried an 85mm Loaded AmXC stem with 5 degree bend but that was 1mm too short to allow the bars to not interfere with the upper clamp and end-cap of the Lefty.

If I remember right the Flatforce comes in max 77mm length, and the problem is exacerbated by the angle being steep so that the bar is less far from the fork leg for a given stem length.

So until they come out with the longer Flatforce stems that they have promised I don't think this combo will work... unless you got one of these
bars that bend forwards significantly and might clear the fork leg (from the pics it looks like the bar bends forwards about 15mm or so whereas my bar bends back about 3mm.... so maybe you gain 18mm or so of clearance which might just be enough... but it'll be close and you'd have to try it and see)

maxle

by maxle

Thank you very much ! You were right in all points. I found a nice tool yesterday for stem calculations:
http://alex.phred.org/stemchart/Default.aspx

So in the end a 80mm stem for 31,8 bars won`t work with Lefty.
You only own a bike when you've violated every single term of guarantee.

justaute

by justaute

FWIW...Syntace is purportedly making longer stems after the European Bike Show. I read the new lengths will be 88mm and 99mm.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

would the 88mm stem work on a lefty fork then?
to go faster....just pedal harder!

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

yeah I'm digging the internet to find this answer as well Anyone know what would be the shortest Flatforce suitable with the lefty fork?

drider85

by drider85

If your looking for a short low stem for the Lefty maybe look at Leonardi factory. It looks like the shortest the sell for the general left is the 95mm. Lefty Maxx offset in 80mm length. I don't know what the offset is on a FSI.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

On a Lefty 2.0 you can easily get away with a 60 mm stem (that's what I'm currently running). 50 mm would probably be fine.

pptso

by pptso

It depends on your bars, i use ritchey's flat 10 degree bars, because the bars go out first then go back I was able to fit a flatforce 77mm stem, but i had to use a stem spacer with the MCFK steerer bc the stem hits the lefty clamp, so the bars were not as low as I wanted
Instead I switched to a leonardi stem 80mm with -25 angle and with the ritchey 10 degrees flat bars it barely clears but it gives me a nice low and tight handling cockpit.
I prefer the position with the leonardi stem even though the setup is about 100 grams heavier than using the flatforce stem, again the 10 degree bend in the bars helps make the clearance not sure if straight flat bars will fit
Hope this helps

BoostedGP

by BoostedGP

I have the Flatforce 88mm stem with a lefty Hybrid. works and fits perfectly.

short than the 88mm syntace stems will not work, not enough clearance

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

BoostedGP wrote:I have the Flatforce 88mm stem with a lefty Hybrid. works and fits perfectly.

short than the 88mm syntace stems will not work, not enough clearance

Good to know, I have a 99mm on my bucket list, I guess I will consider the 88mm now.

So the handlebar is clearing on the same height as the alloy clamp portion of the lefty? Or is actually even lower then that like...in front of the carbon smaller diameter tube?

Maybe a picture would help thanks!

jimborello

by jimborello

Here you go, Im currently using a 88mm flat force with a flat schmolke bar and it works great. Ill try to take some more pictures tomorrow
Attachments
Yeti ASR lefty
Yeti ASR lefty

Jepas

by Jepas

Sorry to dig it up but...

Can any owner of a FlatForce specify the real stack height of each FlatForce stem (77, 88, 99)?

I have a problem with it because the 111mm stem has 33mm os stack height (too high for my bike since I am planning to use it under a Lefty top bridge).

BoostedGP

by BoostedGP

Mine is an 88. 32mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com