Best source for sidi shoes or any alternative?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Liggero

by Liggero

My sidi shoes from 2006 have now a very very flimsy sole, really not stiff enough, specially while climbing. The model is the Dominator5. My idea is to buy a new ones, but i see that the current models for this price range are exactly the same. It's kind of sad that there is no real evolution in sidi in this price range, only on the expensive ones. Anyways, i´d like to know what is the cheapest source for sidi in europe, or what alternative do you recommend for a kind of racing shoe belowe 150€. What do you think about mavic choes? is the sole stiff enough? any other alternative? thanks in advance.
Happy Trails !!!

mentok

by mentok

doesn't help you very much, but when ordering from outside the EU, ribble and wiggle seem to be the cheapest particularly when the run shoe/clothing discounts. neither carry a full range though :/

interested to hear if anyone has any better suggestions because i'm sort of looking at the moment...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Liggero

by Liggero

I found the eagle 5 at 139€ at action sports, I think is the cheapest around, but still, they are exactly the same as the ones I already own. I suppose being new ones the sole will be ok, but I'd like to have a stiffer sole that lasts longer. My ten year old specialized bg comp shoes are much much stiffer and sole is way thicker. Also heavier, but i don't care about that. I wonder if mavic shoes have a resistant sole or not.
Happy Trails !!!

sstefanov

by sstefanov

It might not be of much help, but I would suggest that you just buy a more expensive carbon soled SIDI model. I have an oldish SIDI Dragon 2 SRS Carbon 2009 which I bought in 2008. I have put through everything and they have been flowless. I do not feel any softening of the sole. Also everything on this shoe is replacable and easily available.

For me shoe fit is the most important factor. I wouldn't risk spending €150 on something that might not fit.

If I were you I would shop around for 2012 year model of SIDI Dragon or Eagle with Carbon sole.

Stefan

mattr

by mattr

Last years colours is always good. But it's really the wrong time of year, you need to be looking just as the next model year comes out.
I've got 6.6 Road and some spider vernice mtb shoes "for best" and paid around 150 quid a pair.
If you can find a good price on the spiders, they are a pretty big step up over the Eagles (that my wife has) and the dominators (we have a pair of these kicking round too)

Liggero

by Liggero

sstefanov. thanks a lot for your input. I guess with sidi i should go for the very top as you recomend, or better move on to another brand.

Problem is that the sidi I owned, I like that kind of shaping of the shoe with tight finger space. On the contrary Bont goes for a different approach that sounds even better. I've read that bont mtb models outer carbon sole lasts very little in mountain conditions, and are way to stiff to walk even a step.

Anyways, If my 60€ over 10 year old specialized Comp shoes sole is already twice as stiff as what i need, I don't think I have to expend 200-300€ in a shoes, necessarily, and I´m sure there are more fair alternatives in price, like northwave, or diadore, or mavic, or specialized. I just need to get a trustable feedback on those. and other problem is that i will buy online, as the sources in my area of LBS are too expensive.
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

mattr wrote:Last years colours is always good. But it's really the wrong time of year, you need to be looking just as the next model year comes out.
I've got 6.6 Road and some spider vernice mtb shoes "for best" and paid around 150 quid a pair.
If you can find a good price on the spiders, they are a pretty big step up over the Eagles (that my wife has) and the dominators (we have a pair of these kicking round too)

thanks mate!! I can get a spider on ebay germany for a decent price. Do you think the sole in the spider vernice (not the spider xc, that has the simple sole of the eagle and the dominator), is an upgrade in stiffness? If yes I might press the trigger. Price is a kinda fair 150€.
Happy Trails !!!

mattr

by mattr

I've just been downstairs for a waggle and a bend.
It's not a massive difference, but the spiders do feel slightly stiffer.

TBH, unless you go to a proper carbon sole I suspect the differences are going to be minimal.

Liggero

by Liggero

well, I followed your word and got a pair of sidi spider vernice for mtb at 150€ plus shipping. Kind of a very nice deal!!! ready to rock for logging lot and lot of kilometers this summer in south Spain. Can't wait!!!
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

well, the seller now just marked them as out of stock in my size, which were previously available... weird... Anyways, if the spider model is more or less the same, makes little sense I guess. Any feedback on any other brand and model would be great.
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

I ended up with a Mavic Chasm, with carbon fiber sole for 155€ shipped!!! it was time to move on from Sidi old design, expensive price and flimsy soles. and heavier weight, and no toe cap in cheaper versions. Bye, bye Sidi. I do hate mavic whels, but this shoes made by salomon, seem to be the very next thing for mtb. For road I will ditch sidi in the future for the new Bont Riot.

Bye Bye Sidi!!!!
Happy Trails !!!

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Xxcyclea.fr have great sidi prices!

Liggero

by Liggero

kompressor has better prices, and also actionsports.
Happy Trails !!!

The Green Flame

by The Green Flame

If you are located in the Netherlands, you should try to contact Hopmans. They are hard to beat when it comes down to the pricing of Sidi shoes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Liggero

by Liggero

thanks mate!!! I already decided to try better the mavic route, as they are a tiny bit wider, cheaper and better for summer, as i will use them in spain only. I noticed they also have great prices in mavic shoes. Still, Bikester.nl have offer now in shoes, so I ordered from them, but hopmans is a great tip, thanks!!
Happy Trails !!!