durable race tire for 29er

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

I have been riding maxxis Ikon exo 29er last season and currently riding them. I have punctured the treads section last year quite a few times and last week end, I punctured the treads section during an important race while in the lead. I love these tires, but they are expensive and I'd like to try something else. I ride them tubeless.

I know the popular tires like schwalbe, continental, kenda, etc.

I am looking for something similar to Ikon in terms of 1- volume, 2- shape 3- treads. I am also looking at something durable and not too expensive.

Do you guys have anything to suggest? CRC has those michelin wild racers available that look interesting and not too expensive, but reviews are limited on this model.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I have had the same problem with Ikon's. They are about the easiest tire ever to puncture in the tread. I know you don't want to pay Schwalbe prices, but the Ikons aren't much cheaper (US prices). I have been trying the Racing Ralph 2.35's and so far, I like them better and they seem to roll easier even thou they are a more knobby tire. I only have about 100 miles so far so I can't say about puncture resistance. Also, the RR's are supposed to weigh 620 but the 2 I bought weighed 550 and 570-a pleasant surprise! On my rims the Ikons end up at 2.2 and the RR end up at 2.3 not 2.35 after stretching so they are close to the same but a little larger. I find the more rounded profile of the RR better on the front especially so I ended up putting the RR's on the front of 2 bikes and the Ikons on the rear. When the Ikons wear out, I will probably go to RR's if they don't prove puncture prone.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

devinci

by devinci

yeah I am still considering the racing ralph snakeskin 2.25.

I have some continental race king race sport I have tried for the first time yesterday. They roll very fast but they do not inspire confidence when cornering. Do you know if continental have good tread puncture resistance? I like the x-king side treads and the protection version could be nice.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Haven't used the Continentals.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I'm a big fan of the Racing Ralph in 2.25 and while I would run it as a rear, it wears too quickly. I've had good luck with a Specialized Fast Trak as a rear tire but I didn't care for the 2.2 I ran as a front tire.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Are you running the Ikon's with a tube or with sealent?

One tire I want to try is the 2013 Rocket Ron 29er... I haven't found a store that has stock of the new tread pattern. I think on Scwalbe's website it is Rocket Ron HS438

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Tubes? What are tubes?

devinci

by devinci

sealant yeah

I just patched the punctured Ikon, im not sure how it will hold up and im not sure if I will seal it back or use a tube

I used Lepage strong glue on the inside of the tire, let dry, applied a tube patch, covered with another layer of glue...

meanwhile, im still eyeing the continental, but reviews are mixed,some saying they last long, some not. Schwalbe seems to waer quite rapidly.

An interesting combo would be race king at the back and mountain king up front. Both 2.2

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Yea the RR's rubber is really soft but grips accordingly. That is why I am thinking for me the ultimate setup (which I have on 2 of my bikes now) is RR 2.35 front and Ikon 2.2 rear.

Snabb

by Snabb

Don`t know the price on schwalbe tires in Canada, but I can really recommend racing ralph. Good tire for most conditions, don`t last long but thats because the rubber is really soft and grips well even in the wet. The snakeskin version is worth the extra weight. my 0.02 cents.
Ride lots!

devinci

by devinci

went to the LBS yesterday, schwalbe are arround 95-100$, continental protection 75$. I am now considering Kenda...

I have some small block 8 I've been riding on the road, not sure how they'd do in the trails and not sure about their durability, which is my main concern

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

SB8 are very durable, traction is ok but not great. My problem with them is that they don't seem to roll easy. To my butt dynomometer they have lots of rolling resistance compared to the top choices. The rounded profile does turn in nicely though.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

My experience with SM8s... for 26" version... not sure if 29" version is the same is:

Great cornering feel
Very good cornering speed
good braking and accel grip

BUT! only when dry/hardpacked or a bit dusty

so so in the sandy areas

horrible for any bit of moisture. Not good for wet roots.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Yes the 29er version is a dry conditions tire for sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kastrup

by Kastrup

What about the Fast Track from Specialized?
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.