Oval RaceFace Cinch rings coming.

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Moment many of you have been waiting for. RaceFace Cinch Oval rings are here!

Lighter than original round ones, with great oval shape and possibility to adjust the clocking position of the ring if you want to. This is the Ultimate solution for your RF crank.
Our oval 32T ring is only 62g vs 68g from RF. But oval 32T rides almost like 34T round equivalent (RF 34T is 70g). That makes RF Next SL crank with our 32T oval ring lightest possible setup on the market (for that crank of course).

Long description:
Our main/recommended clocking position is a fantastic setup for everyone (same as our other rings in the line). However some more experienced riders may like a bit more aggressive clocking. RaceFace oval chainring allows you to change clocking position by 22deg both ways from initial setup.
RF Cinch mounting pattern is the only one out of all direct mount chainring patterns on the market (like Sram/Hope/E13) that can be rotated by every 22.5deg (16 spline design). That coincides with 2 positions that oval users love.

Our main (signature) position is located around 3.30 oclock. That means crank arm is located at 3.30 oclock when major axis of the oval is at 12 oclock (vertical). That gives greatest benefits and excellent feel of the ring.

Our second position in RF oval rings is located at 4.30 oclock. That is 22deg later than our main position. You need to turn the ring clockwise by one notch on the spline pattern. This position is favored by some experienced riders out there who already rode oval rings for few years from various manufacturers. We do not recommend it for people who just started the experience with ovals as this position is more pronounced and aggressive. We encourage customers to play with second position only when they have ridden on the main position for minimum 5-6 months (or ridden other ovals for longer period of time).

Chainring has a mark on the back side of where the main position is. That mark needs to be located in the middle of crank arm.

Visit our web for more details:
http://absoluteblack.cc/raceface-oval.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

What about direct mount for Hollowgram?

Raineman

by Raineman

Do you know what the eccentricity for the rings are?

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I was wondering when someone would get around to making something like this! Few questions, how does the 3:30 position compare to the middle position of Rotor's QX1 ring, and how does the 22 degree compare to their adjustment angle? And as the other poster asked, what are the max/min effective tooth sizes of your 32 ring?

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Hi,
Really sorry for late reply. I am not here that often anymore.

Our signature position is quite close to Rotor middle position as this is the only clocking that actually works excellent.
Max min on my rings is always +/-2teeth from nominal size. so 32T is 30/34.

There is a great article on Pinkbike testing this ring and various clocking positions also available in this particular case as RF ring can be clocked due to spline pattern.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/absolute-b ... eview.html

There is a lot of talking about our signature clocking position that reviewer liked a lot.

http://absoluteblack.cc/raceface-oval.html

roadieboy

by roadieboy

Tehan, I'm getting ready to do a new MTB build and am planning on buying one of your oval rings.

I'm sure they retain the chain wonderfully without any additional help, but my not-smooth riding style and rocky local trails seem to have endowed me with a superhuman ability to drop chains. Are there any chain guides you can reccomend that can accommodate the oscillating radius of your oval chainrings?

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

MRP guards or E13 work fine as many of my customers is using it.
But we have our own in the works as well:) Specifically for ovals (but round ring will work as well of course). They are still some weeks away as we need to optimize the cost.

roadieboy

by roadieboy

I'm glad I asked then, care to share any more details on your upcoming guide?

Jaker

by Jaker

The Bionicon guide would work well. Im going to try mine without a guide at 1st to see how it goes. I am also using an XTR derailleur with no clutch. If that doesn't work, I'll add my Bionicon guide.

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Since many of you were asking about that recently...

Sram oval red GXP is now available and in stock.

http://absoluteblack.cc/sram-oval.html

Jaker

by Jaker

Juan,

Were you using a clutch type derailleur or non-clutch type? Which chain?

Jaker

by Jaker

Thanks.

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

We have a quite exciting game for you that we start this week and continue to do every week from now on! Just send us your photos of your AB oval ring on the bike.

Every week we pick our favorite customer shots, If we choose yours we'll send you a GIFT CARD!

Just post them on our Facebook timeline or tag ‪#‎absoluteblack‬ and ‪#‎ovalthis‬ on Instagram! and we will look for them.

http://www.facebook.com/absoluteblack.cc

http://www.instagram.com/absoluteblack.cc to participate

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Some interesting stuff now:)

I am just making a series of videos starting this week and will try to put one new every two weeks. This will be about how oval works, how to tension the chain on oval, how to mount it to certain cranks, how to optimize gearing, how to reduce wear on chainring and a LOT more.

So please do me and yourself a favor and subscribe to youtube channel (also share with friends who don't know how ovals work).

I promise I will be more relaxed with next videos haha.
Marcin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQVSMAz0bTo