XX1 rings alternative - it works!!

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

An uneven numbers of teeth won't work if the chainrings are XX1-style....

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

that is correct - only even numbers.

Are you thinking about CX rings? They sound really small.
I plan to do 130/40T & 42T and 110/38T in first instance. Let me know if you use something different.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

This is to show how good retention this chainring has. It's all about the tooth shape which can keep the chain in place. Only 5 links is enough to hold onto absoluteBLACK chainring!! Regular chainrings require at least double that.

Try to do it with yours and see result.

ImageImage

grover

by grover

tehan wrote:that is correct - only even numbers.

I plan to do 130/40T & 42T and 110/38T in first instance. Let me know if you use something different.

I use a 5 bolt 110bcd crankset on my mtb - was hoping for a 34.
I'll be purchasing a 130bcd 42 for the cross bike.

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

grover wrote:
tehan wrote:that is correct - only even numbers.

I use a 5 bolt 110bcd crankset on my mtb - was hoping for a 34.
I'll be purchasing a 130bcd 42 for the cross bike.

hmm, sorry but no plans for such small ones for 110bcd. I still have few cranks like that in my garage but this BCD for mtb is officially dead so i can't make just one.

But i will surely do ones for CX. stay tuned.

and just to want to add two more pictures as someone in Germany actually made a photo that he can do that with 6 links on fsa single ring (but admitted that with huge effort).
My rings hold it even with 4. You just physically can't get lower! This is an ultimate proof how tight tolerances there are in the ring.

ImageImage

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Looking at your photos I'm having trouble seeing a difference between every-other-tooth. I know you said that your newer rings aren't narrow-wide like the XX1 rings... so is there _any_ difference between every-other tooth? (If not then there'd be no reason you couldn't do odd numbers of teeth, not that such a thing is really necessary)

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

tooths on these ones are identical. So could do odd numbers. But since i share tooth design with my 104BCD rings it's easier for me to stick with even numbers.
Besides demand for odd numbers is really low. People are so used to riding on 32,34, 36 that they look no further as on every forum you can see such numbers. So people just buy what they read:)

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Hi,
I am pleased to announce that 104BCD rings are now available to pre-order on the website.
I will do my best to deliver them like advised on the website:

http://absoluteblack.cc/xx1-style-shimano.html

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

I would like to get 38t 104 BCD :thumbup:
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

1 38T for me too! :wink:

skyfire1202

by skyfire1202

Any plans to make 94mm BCD rings for compact MTB (94/58) cranks?

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

38 is in the works:)

94BCD - i am afraid that not many people using it anymore so i can't make just few in the process i am using.
I have few singlespeed chainrings left 33T in 94x4holes pattern, but these would require a chainkeeper.

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

hmm, i already wrote on my site that it works as i figured out where the problem was.
So you can potentially order one if you read that below and figure out what spacer you have. Most people wrote me that with longer spindle works great. With shorter also works ok, but some frames does not accept that...and this was the problem.

(*) BB30 users - There are two axle lengths in that system. One is 5mm longer than the other one. Longer spindle is usually mounted as OEM where you have BB shell of 73/83mm and wider in the frame. Shorter spindle is usually mounted to the frames with 68mm bb. Now, using absoluteBlack chainring with longer spindle creates ideal chainline of around 51mm (means, it works great). Using same ring with shorter spindle from the other hand pushes the ring inboard by 5mm making a chainline of 46mm. In some rare cases frame may not accept that. Also in such case you can't use the chainkeeper (if you would wish of course, as it's not needed). You could move bb spacers around to compensate for that, but it requires a bit of skills. It is easy to distinguish the two. Longer spindle has big 10mm spacer on drive hand side, where shorter spindle will have only 5mm spacer there. If your bb30 crank came with a bike you most likely have long spindle and our chainring will fit perfectly.

If you find that explanation difficult then write to me and i will try to help.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

Are this type of measurement valid?, My thought is the opposite to reduce the amount of chainsuck.

The chain should slip off the ring easiest possible way to maintain a long chainsuck free life.

That´s only me.
Experimental Prototype

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com