XX1 rings alternative - it works!!

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

Just ordered 38T 104mm BCD ring for a customer, they look good and let us see what he thinks of them on his new XX1 drivetrain.
Experimental Prototype

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

New product:)
Narrow/wide singlespeed cogs.

Addition of narrow/wide profile provides additional teeth strength and offers greater chain retention if a tensioner or chain gets loose while riding. So no more dropped chains hopefully:) on singlespeed.

Singlespeed COGS

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CGT

by CGT

Tehan: are you still manufacturing and selling your ISO disc brake rotors? Are they holding up well still after more than two years since launch?

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

I still ride my 2yo prototypes on one of my bikes and they don't look that much worn. So i guess they hold on fine:) We do make them but current lead time is 8-12 weeks on the due to demand.

Btw, For all those asking about Cannondale hollowgram rings. We are now making them and they will be up on website end of next week i hope.

quantum_Rider

by quantum_Rider

tehan wrote:New product:)
Narrow/wide singlespeed cogs.

Addition of narrow/wide profile provides additional teeth strength and offers greater chain retention if a tensioner or chain gets loose while riding. So no more dropped chains hopefully:) on singlespeed.

Singlespeed COGS

Pretty! I would like to try those with rotor single q-ring.
Will there be steel or ti cogs as well?

DanW

by DanW

Glad the Hollowgrams rings are finally coming. Really been looking forward to those!

With respect though, narrow/ wide on singlespeed is a silly idea. The chain should never drop on a correctly tensioned singlespeed anyway and the extra profiling on the ring only introduces the possibility of the ring getting gummed up with mud as the chain can not clear mud off this profile ring as well as a standard tooth profile, maybe even increasing the chain tension and making the chain liable to stretch/ snap. I know we've discussed this before but gritty mud remains an issue for some on NW. Also, could be difficult for some people to get the NW parts on the sprocket lines up with the NW parts of a ring with the chain in the correct length????

Machining is beautiful though

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

This topic is largely discussed on Bikerumor under news of my cog.
http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/06/05/new-absolute-black-single-speed-cog/#comments

It's worth reading if you interested (comment section)

Making story short. Don't forget that there is lots of people out there that: don't ride in the mud:) (yes i know crazy), who have top end carbon frame and need to use chain tensioner of various sort, use 10/11spd chain and so on.

My tooth profiling has specially machined pockets for mud to clear under the roller. So this is not an issue, like on my chainrings. Without those pockets - yes mud could do much harm and derail chain.

To be fair i use them myself on one of my bikes (superfly carbon SL made as singlespeed) and ride it here in UK in our lovely wet weather. This is my "winter bike" which means it sees more mud than any other bike i own due to the fact that i care less about that one and have some mud fun. There is absolutely no issue with that cog in such conditions.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Hi Marcin

I had your first DM GXP chainring and it didn't work very well - even with Sram XX1 chain and type 2 rear derailleur but... I have now your "new" narrow wide DM GXP chainring and it works very well!! Great weight compared to the XX1 chainring/spider, great looks and performance is good!!

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Cannondale hollowgram XX1 spiderless rings are now ready to order!
All details in the link.

http://www.absoluteblack.cc/xx1-cannondale.html

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

What was changed from the original chain rings that makes them better? Were the 104bcd xx1 style chain rings modified too?

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Chris, the original sram chainrings did not have the narrow wide tooth profile. The new ones do.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

We are now shipping 30T hollowgram cranks.
Rest of the sizes end of the week.

Marcin

Anders

by Anders

Can't wait to receive my 32T as the XX1 is arriving Monday. Go go go.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stuka666

by stuka666

Weight savings from replacing the xx1 ring for this one? (the new narrow wide)

Works better and the ring stays in the exact same place as the xx1?