PowerCords

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jacobHansen

by jacobHansen

Hello guys,

I have a few questions about these special PowerCordz which I hear alot about.

I will only need cable for rear shifter Cause of xx1 setup, so.... Do I need to buy a complete Cordz set, or is there any way to only get shifter cable? also, can the innercable fit in a normal shifting Cable or do I need something special?
I saw thar R2-bike had the inner cable on sale, this is why Im asking.

- Jacob

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xc71

by xc71

The inner cable will work in any shift cable housing as long as its the newer 1.2mm cable. They used to sell a thicker shift cable. I've run the 1.2mm cable in XTR housing and currently running it in Aligator I-Links.
I also have the complete Powercordz Prime system on another bike and its been great.

02GF74

by 02GF74

I have had problems with them shifting with SRAM X0 rear mech and XTR so now only used them on the front. (use them withmini i-link outers)

jacobHansen

by jacobHansen

xc71 wrote:The inner cable will work in any shift cable housing as long as its the newer 1.2mm cable. They used to sell a thicker shift cable. I've run the 1.2mm cable in XTR housing and currently running it in Aligator I-Links.
I also have the complete Powercordz Prime system on another bike and its been great.

Okay thanks,

Is there any difference for you with complete Cordz setup vs. XTR with Cords? :)

02GF74

by 02GF74

All I can say from experience is that I have 1 bike with powercordz in mini iling housing XTR rear mech that shift ok, but hwen I tried the same using SRAM X0 and XTR rear mech neither would shift as well so reverted back to steel inner cables. Spent enough time fiddling so don't know why it didn't work since it has worked on the other bike. Powecrodz are ok on the front mech as this as just 2 steps, on rear that has 9 steps I coulnd not get consistent shifting acorss the full 9 gears.

Jaker

by Jaker

I never had much luck with the mini I-links but the regular ones have worked fine for me, both with Powercordz and with regular steel cables.

xc71

by xc71

jacobHansen wrote:
xc71 wrote:The inner cable will work in any shift cable housing as long as its the newer 1.2mm cable. They used to sell a thicker shift cable. I've run the 1.2mm cable in XTR housing and currently running it in Aligator I-Links.

Okay thanks,

Is there any difference for you with complete Cordz setup vs. XTR with Cords? :)

No difference, both shift great. I have not tried these with mini I-Links, only regular I-Links. I've heard of riders having issues with the Mini's even using steel cables.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kristina

by Kristina

02GF74 wrote:I have had problems with them shifting with SRAM X0 rear mech and XTR so now only used them on the front. (use them withmini i-link outers)

Mini I-link is NOT compatible with Powercordz. That´s why you have problems. http://www.powercordz.com/compatibility" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;