29er American classic 101 or race

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rolfo

by rolfo

Hi Fellow bikers,

I need some advice.

I'm in the market for soem new 29er wheels and I like the American classic hups.
So thse two options made it to the final list. But what to decide? I weigh 68 Kg and ride marathons.

-American classic 29er race 2013 wheels.
Pro: Light, wide rims Cons: Rims dent easely, a bit of a screaming styling of the wheels.

-American classic hubs, Sapim cx-ray spokes, American classic 101 rims.
Pro: Light, all black ;-) Cons: Narrower rims. Rims not better as the 29er crest rims?

What would you choose and why?

Thanks! Rolfo
Last edited by rolfo on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tony.corke

by tony.corke

Wider rims every time! I also ride endurance 29er and love how the wider rim makes the tire more round. Lower rolling resistance, much improved corner drop in consistency. I also think that heavier wheels can be an advantage when the racing has fewer accelerations. Granted this depends on the course. Many marathon courses have less technical trails where greater rotating inertia helps hold a higher speed. This obviously becomes a disadvantage if there is tight turns, short steep climbs or anywhere speed changes allot and often.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tony.corke

by tony.corke

I am a smooth 78kg rider and I have ruined a crest rim by denting, but spent 5 years on my AC wheels with no issues. Crests seemed soft for me.

rolfo

by rolfo

Thanks for the input so far ;-)

Nobody has used the American classic 29er race wheels or the american classic 101 rims?

Kastrup

by Kastrup

I have used on older set of AC wheels with the wide rim. Very durable! Have had a couple of crashes which i believe would have destroyed a set of Crest rims.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

rolfo

by rolfo

Hi,

Thanks for the info
Were these the wider AMC 29er race rims? Or their regular mountain rims?

The race versions seem to be pretty fragile and dent pretty easy.

Kastrup

by Kastrup

They were a set of wider rims. The 1600 gram wheelset so not the lightest one.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

rolfo

by rolfo

No one here riding with the American classic 29er race wheels?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Snabb

by Snabb

I have the 2013 race wheels. I really like the wide rims so tubeless setup with Racing Ralph works great. You can go really low with the air pressure without the risk of burping, however I don`t think you want to have to many direct encounters with rocks with these rims. They also flex a little bit sometimes when hammering out of the saddle, on my scott scale with 2,25" RR. The tires hit the frame which is really annoying, also the hub engagement is crap but after a couple of rides you will get used to it. They are great value and one of the best tubeless rims I have tried.

You could also go with american classic 29 wheelset depending on your weight, but I have heard that the real weight is closer to 1700 g than the claimed 1600 g...
Ride lots!