Got some really nice parts :-) new bike pg 6

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

That's an awesome weight Mads. Bike looks very purposeful! Plenty of places still to lose weight which is always good for feeding this WW bug :) It would be great to get your thoughts on the Thunder Burts. I've had them on a second set of wheels for about 3 months now but still no dry weather in the UK!

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

I only had one 4 hours ride on them but they are great - in the dry. Fair grip in corners - didn't feel like slipping on roots or loose ground/gravel so I'm very happy with them. They roll fast! But it's a dry weather tire only - hit some muddy parts and was sliding sideways then pushing the pedals :-)

The bike works really great - the XX1 is SO much better than the 1x10 with X0 type 2 rear derailleur I have on my fully. Carbon wheels feels stiff when out of the saddle. I will upgrade some parts but don't wants to loose performance :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AdyM

by AdyM

Hi, how are you finding the light-bicycle rims? I'm looking at getting some possibly for my 650b which is currently runnings Crest rims.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

The rims feels fine - mucher stiffer than the BOR 333XMD I have on my other wheelset so a big improvement. I also have a pair of 27.5" wheels with BOR 333XMD rims. Don't know if it's because of the smaller diameter but I don't feel like these lacks of stiffness so can't tell how much you will feel the difference.

jooo

by jooo

@Mads Kock - You're almost certainly right that your smaller wheels feel stiffer. A few companies like Bike Ahead Composites have published their wheel stiffness for all 3 sizes - with 26 inch wheels obviously being the stiffest from their range. Sure these aren't steel spoked but the rules of physics still apply in the same manner to regular wheels.

Are you happy with how the LB hook-less rims built up? Nicely finished spoke holes, straight, round rims etc?

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Yes - I had a very good wheelbuilder build my wheels. I know he normally works with very expensive rims so I was a little bit excited what he would say about the LB rims but he was very impressed and said the rims build up very good. Had 2 rides on the wheels now - yesterday in terrain and today on the road and they feel really great!

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Some pictures from yesterday: