what wheels

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

arnoldx3

by arnoldx3

Hi i am after a set of wheel for my xc bike mainly training but some racing i am 195lbs i really want something around the 1500gram mark is that too light i have been looking at these Stans NoTubes ZTR 3.30 wheelset budge is around £500 thanks

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You are 89kg a bit more with kit. depending on how hard yo ride will depend on what you can get away with.

You could have a set of DT Swiss XR350 rims or XR400's built with Race spokes brass nipples and Novatec hubs. That will be around 1520g. I would be cheaper than £500 and be just as good as the stans wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arnoldx3

by arnoldx3

Hi thanks for the reply i tend to ride fairly hard do go over small rocks fairly fast i am also after a hub that i could convert to sram xx1 hub

arnoldx3

by arnoldx3

finally ordered some wheels getting american classics disk 130 / 225 hubs stans crest rims and sapim d-light spokes should come in at 1400 grams

also i am after some advice on tires i have been running rocket rons and find them great just wanted to find out if there is anything faster i ride mostly hardpack with lots of gravel in places and its normally dry dandy soil thanks

thewatchtech

by thewatchtech

You won't be disappointed with Stan's wheels. I have beaten the snot out of a pair of ZTR's (with Hope II hubs) for the past 6 years and am just now getting to the point where the front rim is probably done.

Tires? Ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers. For summer hardpack in my area I'm currently digging a Conti Race King up front w/X-King rear, but I'm sure there are other (and probably better) options. With Conti, I've learned the hard way that their Supersonics never seem to seal with Stans. The slightly heavier Racesports seal up nicely, however. Others will have completely different opinions, so take this with a grain of salt!

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

Keep the Rocket Ron up front and throw a Racing Ralph on the rear for a fast combo that steers well.

arnoldx3

by arnoldx3

ok rocket rons and racing ralph it is then by the way what does everyone use size wise

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

arnoldx3 wrote:ok rocket rons and racing ralph it is then by the way what does everyone use size wise

I have a 2.4 RaRa on the front of my rigid SS, but otherwise I run the 2.25" Schwalbes and 2.2" Conti Race Kings. Both are pretty high volume tires. Anything else is overkill for my terrain.

Kurt

by Kurt

Stans wheels are great, for sure, but give Easton a look. The EA90 can be found for under your price, and while a little heavier than 1500, should be reliable. I have Havens and they are rock solid (with the new hub).

limba

by limba

I don't know anyone that has used Easton mtn. wheels and NOT had problems with them.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

My Easton Havens were horrible. Probably the worst bike related purchase I made in 2012!
My Stand Crests were trashed after less than 6 months of XC use, but I would rather buy another pair of them than anything that says Easton on it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

limba

by limba

and I heard it's going to take forever (June?) to get the Easton XX1 driver from local shops. Maybe it's already available on the net? I haven't even looked because I'm not interested in any Easton wheels.