HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: XC Racing shoes?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:43 am 

I have 2 pair of s-works shoes, very nice shoe. But very very stiff sole, so only for racing and not for long distances where you maybe have to walk.
I have also had a pair of mavic furys also a very good shoe. Stiff but comfortable if you have to walk.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:57 pm 

I´m also interested in this topic. I have a cheap Specialized BG Comp shoe, I think it was the first BG mtb shoes from specialized. They are over 10 YEARS OLD. The sole is really stiff, as it's ultra thick on the interior, to give that tilted surface on the inside. After 10 years of abuse, around 3500km each year average, I still use them, as my five year old sidi eagle 5 or dominator 5 (don't know which one they are, but sole is the same) feel really flimsy in the sole. When pusshing standing up from the saddle i can feel the cleat position. Didn't happened when they were new thoug... I´m now using again the specialized shoes.

I was thinking about getting a new sidi, but i won´t. Carbon models are too expensive, and i hate that after so many years, their line hasn't changed much. I´m thinking to jump to mavic shoes, as feedback seems to be quite decent. Furys are out of my budget now, chasm too. I´m thinking about buying the tempo or the rusch model. The rush i like the full black option. Tempo has a great price and stiffer sole. No full black option though, but they will be better I guess.

Now the problem is the size, as I will order on-line. Does anybody knows how they compare in size to the sidis? I use sidi 46 in both mtb and road, they fit still ok with a thick sock, with medium sock they are perfect. I wonder what would be the equivalent size for mavic... Any help would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:57 pm 

Post subject: XC Racing shoes?
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:52 am 

S-Works.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:12 pm 

No specialized items for me, I hate the brand, it's a bit overpriced and difficult to find online, as they are not allowed to sell outside of a certain country, and normally i like to buy from german shops.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:51 pm 

I received my Mavic Chasm 2012-2013 shoes. I'd like to share my impressions, so it could help somebody in the future, as the reviews in the internet are not too deep. I will compare them to Sidi's, as I've been using Sidi in both mtb and road, and their fit is never changed, so it's a good comparison.

Mavic shoes good points:
- You can get a really stiff carbon sole for a much cheaper (155€ cheapest source) price than Sidi dragons 3(195€ cheapest source).
- Lightweight.
- Excellent rubber sole. Really impressive, it's supposed to last a lot, it's very grippy even in rocks, knobs are agressive, so also in loose soil they'll be great.
- Front rubber protector, is wide and solid, and seems very well glued.
- Really well ventilated for hot weathers.
- Heel retention is great, better than sidi even.

Not graded characteristics:
- They are a tiny bit wider than sidi's.
- Aesthetics are a bit too plastic fantastic for my taste, I kinda prefer sidis. Although it's also true that most sidi models are too classic, too much of a road cyclign aesthetics.
- Micrometric closure is more located to the heel. That improves heel slipage, put hurts more in the upper foot.
- toe box is definitely wider than a sidi's. More like an american mtb shoe instead of a tight toebox from italian cycling shoes.
- Sizing: always order the same size as your sidis, or the next bigger one. I use both 46 in sidis and mavic, with the mvic perhaps half a milimiter smaller. 46 and 2/3 was too big for me.
- If you use special insoles, like for instance specialized BG soles, you may want to go for a higher arch than the ones you have in your sidis. If you have blue in the sidis, you'll want the green ones here. So same arch sole as you would use in a specialized shoes, and one higher than in a sidi shoes.

Negative points:
- Tongue has virtually no padding, much better sidi in that sense, they distribute the pressure points so much better, also because sidi's use wider velcro straps.
- they don't hold the foot all around as good as a sidis, also due to the thin tongue, pressure points are muh noticed. You will want to wear them a tiny bit less tight.
- Included sole protectors for the cleats are useless. you can get other ones though.
- Tongue is too long for my taste.
- Micro adjuster is not as good as sidi's: in the mavic ones you can tighten click by click, but you can't not release them click by click. Sidis can be adjusted click by click in both directions. much better sidi here.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:34 pm 

Updated review: 46 is too small, 46 2/3 too big; i´m getting a sidi dragon3 in 46, returning the mavics.

Go to page Previous  1, 2