I received my Mavic Chasm 2012-2013 shoes. I'd like to share my impressions, so it could help somebody in the future, as the reviews in the internet are not too deep. I will compare them to Sidi's, as I've been using Sidi in both mtb and road, and their fit is never changed, so it's a good comparison.
Mavic shoes good points:
- You can get a really stiff carbon sole for a much cheaper (155€ cheapest source) price than Sidi dragons 3(195€ cheapest source).
- Excellent rubber sole. Really impressive, it's supposed to last a lot, it's very grippy even in rocks, knobs are agressive, so also in loose soil they'll be great.
- Front rubber protector, is wide and solid, and seems very well glued.
- Really well ventilated for hot weathers.
- Heel retention is great, better than sidi even.
Not graded characteristics:
- They are a tiny bit wider than sidi's.
- Aesthetics are a bit too plastic fantastic for my taste, I kinda prefer sidis. Although it's also true that most sidi models are too classic, too much of a road cyclign aesthetics.
- Micrometric closure is more located to the heel. That improves heel slipage, put hurts more in the upper foot.
- toe box is definitely wider than a sidi's. More like an american mtb shoe instead of a tight toebox from italian cycling shoes.
- Sizing: always order the same size as your sidis, or the next bigger one. I use both 46 in sidis and mavic, with the mvic perhaps half a milimiter smaller. 46 and 2/3 was too big for me.
- If you use special insoles, like for instance specialized BG soles, you may want to go for a higher arch than the ones you have in your sidis. If you have blue in the sidis, you'll want the green ones here. So same arch sole as you would use in a specialized shoes, and one higher than in a sidi shoes.
- Tongue has virtually no padding, much better sidi in that sense, they distribute the pressure points so much better, also because sidi's use wider velcro straps.
- they don't hold the foot all around as good as a sidis, also due to the thin tongue, pressure points are muh noticed. You will want to wear them a tiny bit less tight.
- Included sole protectors for the cleats are useless. you can get other ones though.
- Tongue is too long for my taste.
- Micro adjuster is not as good as sidi's: in the mavic ones you can tighten click by click, but you can't not release them click by click. Sidis can be adjusted click by click in both directions. much better sidi here.
Happy Trails !!!