Nice light 31.8mm stem for XC/touring/bike packing MTB

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Having trouble deciding on a nice quality, but stiff oversized stem for my hardtail MTB. I had considered getting the Thomson x4 but to be honest it's pretty porky at 175g and may be overbuilt for my needs.
Bike will be used for XC/touring and bike packing so I need a stem that can handle a Revelate handlebar bag with a bit of weight on some occasions.

What is the best option given these requirements? I was even considering a Deda Zero 100 stem as I have one on my road bike and it's pretty light and strong. Will be 100mm.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sstefanov

by sstefanov

Ritchey c260 is my current favourite. May be Syntace F109 for the extra peace of mind with that handlebar bag.

Stefan

limba

by limba

You can get a Syntace for about 55 dollars. Tough to beat that. Ibis and UNO are light and cheap and seem to be getting good reviews. New Ultimate is lighter... lots of options but ask here for real weights before buying anything.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Thanks for the ideas guys. WCS looks like a good option at around 100grams. What about the 3T ARX stems as they are pretty similar at 110-120g, and CRC/Wiggle have them for $60 vs $90 for the WCS. Cheers

AndrewL

by AndrewL

I've been using a Kalloy Uno that I bought off one of the Ebay stores from Taiwan. It's the lightest stem for the money--95g (60mm) for less than $30. Many people are using them on this forum and I have yet to hear of a failure. A lot of mainstream brand stems are re-branded Kalloys.
Andrew "Jersey" L

limba

by limba

Yup. I haven't tried one but I've seen big threads about the UNO on this and other sites. So far so good.

Tom-s

by Tom-s

My 3T ARX teams are overweight: 110mm = 126g and 120mm = 135g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com