DT Swiss 350 front hub 15mm TA- loose end caps??

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Hey guys,

I just bought a DT Swiss set of 350 hubs, including a 15mm thru axle front. Nice hubs for the money, light and look nicely made.

The front hub looks like this:

One issue I wanted clarity on is that when I hold the hub, the 15mm end caps are quite loose to touch; is this normal??

I did a search and it seems that the end caps do not actually take any of the load, they are only used to compress the hub when it's in the fork- it that right?

I'm going to put the hub in the fork, clamp up the thru axle and hopefully the play will go away. Can anyone comment this is true, thanks.

It's just a bit weird to feel this amount of play on what is meant to be a quality Swiss product (Asian forged shell anyway).

Thanks,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

afalts

by afalts

Yep that is normal, when you tighten the skewer there will be no play.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

afalts wrote:Yep that is normal, when you tighten the skewer there will be no play.

Thanks for confirming. Like I said it just feels weird to have play on such a nice hub.
I'm sure DT Swiss have done it for a reason!

machine4321

by machine4321

I would like to add to this. I am getting flex/creaking due to these end caps. If I pull the wheel towards the left or right, I get movment in the endcaps. I thought I had a creaking headset but that was not the case. Im a bit disappointed that these end caps are not a more precision fit.

myungjinkim

by myungjinkim

Can I know bought How much?

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Any play in the endcaps is almost surely due to an improperly tightened through axle. There are some things to check, but for instance I have seen axles where the thread length was not long enough and the axle would bottom out at the end of the threads before it was properly tightened.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

hjb1000

by hjb1000

machine4321 wrote:I would like to add to this. I am getting flex/creaking due to these end caps. If I pull the wheel towards the left or right, I get movment in the endcaps. I thought I had a creaking headset but that was not the case. Im a bit disappointed that these end caps are not a more precision fit.

I can confirm when the 350 hub is installed in the fork, and the TA is tightened, there is no play which is good.
What is interesting is the design of the 15mm 240 hub is substantially different from the 15mm 350 and the end caps are not interchangeable. Which begs the question, why?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Or why not.....there could be many reasons, cost, weight, different bearing sizes etc etc
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

benmills

by benmills

I just bought the exact same front hub and the end caps are very loose. I also have the rear 142 x 12mm thru axle hub and those end caps are nice and tight. It seems like the rear end caps are a different design. They are a friction fit, whereas the front end caps seem to float and are held in place by some kind of ring. No idea why the ring isn't snugged tight.

I'm guessing it's going to be a little bit of a nuisance to build these wheels up. I'll have to make sure those floppy end caps are snugged tight in the truing stand.

I guess I'm looking for assurances that this front hub rides just fine when snugged up in the fork. I'm thinking about returning it and getting a 240 instead (with normal removable end caps). I don't really want to spend that extra money, but also don't want the hassle of building the wheel up and the 350 hub not functioning correctly.

spookyload

by spookyload

When you install the fork, the tension from the skewer will hold it snug. It is fine. As for the build, should be the same way. Minimal tension allows it to be normal.

Swannie

by Swannie

I just bought a set of crest mk3 with those 350 hubs.
The end caps are also as described above: loose and make a creaky sound when u move them.
If i let my front wheel bounce (installed in the fork) it makes a creaky sound coming from the
End caps. There is no play or anything. Is this normal?

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Swannie wrote:I just bought a set of crest mk3 with those 350 hubs.
The end caps are also as described above: loose and make a creaky sound when u move them.
If i let my front wheel bounce (installed in the fork) it makes a creaky sound coming from the
End caps. There is no play or anything. Is this normal?

If hub is mounted in the fork and the axle is done up there should be no play or noise. So no, def not normal

Swannie

by Swannie

it was a loose nipple inside of my rim that made the noise.
I have now ridden 2 mtb rides on my new wheels and very satisfied with the dt 350/ crest mk3 wheelset!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com