tune headset rubbing.

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

qwpy

by qwpy

" no solution found as of yet.

hello

this may be a missing part?

I purchased a tune bubu from star bike and a gum gum star nut about a year ago
I've only just installed it as I have been waiting for my tune wheels for over 1 year.

I've pressed the bearings into my frame with the appropriate tool, both bearings spin well and smooth
the forks slide into the headset o.k and the forks seem to rest well on the provided crown race too and the forks spin freely
and smooth.

now i try to install the top part with the spacers and stem , here I have a worrying issue.

the top part of the headset the upper most part that has the text printed around the edge
does not spin on the bearings. So when i put my spacers on and compress the fork and bearings and
turn my stem/bars the spacers rub on the top part of the headset instead of turning smoothly with the bearing.

here are a few pictures to aid explanation.

here below are parts i have left after installing the bearings/cups, my bubu is black

but in this stock image it seems there is a part extra i may need

Any support for me would be great. does this look like a part missing issue?

i bought it over a year ago . how on earth will I get this sorted? : (

thanks for advice.
Last edited by qwpy on Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marecej

by marecej

Hi,

yes, you are missing the plastic ring
the part with the text should sit on it
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

qwpy

by qwpy

thank you marecej

I thought it was not working right. i am lucky i did not damage it.

thank you for the confirmation / support

peace : )

mattr

by mattr

Isn't the silver piece on the right the black piece? Just aluminium instead of nylon.

qwpy

by qwpy

when i put the silver split ring onto of the upper bearing it fits inside the hole well, but it does not spread out / span out and cover the top of the bearing ....

i think the black part must be a missing part that that fits ontop of the silver split ring i have.

i emailed tune . hopefully they will help. send me one.

its been over a year since i bought this from star bike, so i doubt I have a guarantee. : / ( i was waiting for my wheels + 1 year to arrive, owch)

mattr

by mattr

OK, so tune have an extra spacer in there on top of the compression ring.

Good luck!

mattr

by mattr

Except the cross section i've found shows the top cover resting directly on top of the compression ring.

Might it just need an extra shim between the compression ring and the top cap?

https://www.universalcycles.com/shoppin ... p?id=21855

I know i've had to fit these two or three times to various headsets

qwpy

by qwpy

i have seen this on ebay

they all seem to have a black insert type of thing

but in this picture there is not one.

^ maybe an error but this photo does not show that black piece. These are the parts i have. no black sleeve piece.

: /

mattr

by mattr

maybe they've put the wrong compression ring in your box? That aluminium one looks like a "standard" one that comes with any number of low and mid range headsets.

The one in the tune pictures looks like some sort of engineering grade nylon or (maybe) UD carbon. Which will be a different size to the aluminium one you have.......

marecej

by marecej

I'm looking at the pictures again and I think the silver ring is the right one
I have the bubu not integrated headset and it comes with the plastic ring

looking at the integrated headset, the top bearing inner race has a 45 degree angle, which will fit the 45 degree angle on the silver ring
my headset does not have this angle, so maybe its a new design or something

have you tried to instal it with the silver ring?
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

qwpy

by qwpy

hi

thanks for your reply everyone.

the one i have is called a bubu 'semi integrated' headset, bought from starbike late 2015.

to marecej

yes, i simply put the silver split ring (compression ring?) inside the top bearing, it slots in nice...then I place the cover on top...
but the black cover (with the printed text around the edge) does not spin on the bearing. And when the stem is put on, it jams, it's as if there is something missing inside to help the top cover move along with the bearing?
Last edited by qwpy on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qwpy

by qwpy

I have to giggle at this, as i desperately search for information on the parts.

quote from tune website:

"What do we expect of a headset? That it works and works until you finally forget about it. Then, oobody is still interested in the precision fit, the wobbly bearings are on other bikes anyway."

Yet, unfortunately "oobody" seems to know what parts come in the box, so mine remains wobbly from the start. : )

I have to give tune credit though, when there stuff is installed and working, it really is great. hence I waited patiently for over a year for my wheels.
my previous wheels from tune/starbike worked for over 10 years.. and are still going strong. : )

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think all you need to do is shim it. Should be able to find some shims at any bike shop. Use enough to raise it so that it doesn't bind.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

qwpy

by qwpy

thanks, you could be right, but i fear getting it wrong. its a very important part.

perhaps Tune or starbike will help me? emails sent.

: )

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SportingGoods

by SportingGoods

You've had the right advice: Put the split ring (you get a silver one, but color does not matter, right :) ). Then you need to add shims on top of the split ring till the cover does not rub.

Stop questioning over and over, just do as mentioned above.