HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:07 pm 

Still being ignored regarding the warranty of my one rotor, getting pretty tiring, at least I have one working rotor.. I got an interesting email from Aaron at Kettle though, not sure why he sent it to me...

Last edited by crohnsy on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:07 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:17 pm 

I'm having an OK experience with them so far. I've had them on for 1/2 the season now. I bought hte 3rd batch through the kick starter campaign. They did not get C processed or whatever from Kettle.

Right now they are installed onto Hope X2 Race (1st generation, not the green accented version) running the stock original organic pads.

Impression:
Braking... very modular. Coefficient of friction not very high. Need to brake early. No last minute high braking power for oh-shit moments or misjudegements allowed.

I run them for XC racing and such. They work well for this type of riding and terrain where the trails are relatively tame and not constant decents. I would not run these in North Shore Vancouver type riding. You need a lot of force from hands for pull force to translate to lots of braking.

This is compared with the stock original Hope X2 Race Saw rotors. I run 160/140 for Kettle and Hope original rotors.

One point is that the kettle cycles rotors were thicker than the Hopes. 2mm vs 1.8mm, Had to get caliper alignment perfect to make them work ok.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:20 pm 

I was an early backer of the KickStarter campaign and have had the rotors since the beginning of March and initially intended to use the rotors with Shimano CX75 mechanicals on the cross bikes but the rotors I received were a tad out of true from day one and no amount of adjustment with mechanical calpers (Shimano CX75/Avid BB7SL) got them to work with out significant rubbing/binding. I then moved them over to my SS 29er with Shimano XTR and Ashima Ai2 rotors and while the carbon rotors still produced a very minor amount of pad rub, I felt it was acceptable. Although I don't get out on the 29er that much, after a few rides I was starting to like them until this past week. After finishing a lunch time ride with friends, as we finished and while rolling around in the parking lot I asked to check out a friends Scott 29er which had the same brakes and Ashima Ai2 rotors and even for a neophyte MTB rider like me, the difference in stopping power was night and day. So over the weekend I put the Ashima rotors back on and yesterday, I opened a ticket with Kettle and mailed my SICC 160mm rotors back for C-Processing and some carbon pads but at this point, it really doesn't matter as I doubt I will ever see those rotors again!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:37 pm 

I received my Carbon rotors 4th. July.
Installed them, nice and light and true.
180mm front, 160mm rear; did fit without any problem.
After burn in and testing them about a month, I took them off again and installed my XT rotors.
The carbon rotors were not performing well enough for the mountains here, they could not stop the bike when going down steep hills/mountains.
Too bad. I wanted to like them otherwise I would have not paid the heavy price.
Guess they will be good for other kind of terrain, light, nice and easily dose-able.
I paid 292.99 US $for them and on their website the price has gone up to 328 $ now.

Anybody give me a good offer and I will send them.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6