best bang for buck XT XTR mix

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

villahidalgo

by villahidalgo

I need to resucitate my hardtail (26") to take a client out riding. I have an old 1998 xt 8 speed drivetrain on a generic aluminum frame. Thinking of upgrading the drivetrain to 2x10 since it is what I am used to on my road bike. I only ride some easy/medium level single track, no jumps or long hills.

I was leaning towards full XT drivetrain but does it make sense to upgrade some of the parts to XTR for a significant improvement without much cost? I did some reasearch, this is what a store recommends:

Shifters: XTR
FD: XTR
RD: XT
Cassette: XT
Crank: XT or SLX even
Chain: XTR
I already have fairly new avid brakes, will stick with those for now.
Thanks for any input!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Avexo

by Avexo

Hello, first post on here but thought i would share, I work in a shop and do alot of racing.

Personally XT FD would be fine and save you a few quid and it weighs the same as XTR on our work scales only difference is spring tension is slightly higher.
use an SLX chain since weight wise there is no difference but the XTR chain will have stronger links but doesn't seem to last much longer.

And if you can stretch to it get your self an XTR chainset or Rear Mech as the shifting is far superior then an XT or SLX and the weight is alot lower.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I'd save on the crank, chain and FD to spare money for an XTR RD.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

And make sure it's Shadow+ RD. It will make wonders to any MTB.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

Colin

by Colin

Shifters: XTR
FD: XT - as said, same as XTR more or less.
RD: XTR shadow+
Cassette: SLX - very minor differences (alloy lockring) between XT and SLX.
Crank: XTR - much lighter
Chain: KMC X10SL - can be had on Ebay for less than $40 shipped, lighter, and last much longer. The only chains I have broken in the last ~5 years were both XTR.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have done a similar setup on my my bike. I went for XT rear mech and XT front mech and the XTR chainset as that is were the main weight saving is (I went for the 2x10 40-28T version). I used a XT rear mech as I wanted a mid cage 9 speed as I am running a 11-28T 10 speed ultegra cassette and may move to a 12-25T and get a ultegra or DA short cage mech. I have used Paul thumbie adapters and Dura ace 10 speed bar end shifter to make up thumbies which are lighter than XTR shifters and I prefer using thumbies.

I also would not bother with XTR front mechs. I would like an XTR rear mech but if I do use an 12-25T cassette which I will when the current part worn cassette wears out I will have a cage that is too long.

I am using a KMC chain and would recomend that over a shimano chain.

So XTR cranks and mech if you can afford those, everything else can be XT as it is as good.

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

save yourself a shed load of cash and just buy a SLX 2x10 groupset... i was going to go for a full XT groupo for my wife's bike, but just couldn't see the point. the SLX chainset is much nicer too than the XT (although not as nice as the XTR one which costs almost as much as the entire SLX groupset).

admitedly i did upgrade to a XT clutch rear mech, but this was purely for vanity rather than any performance or weight gain.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

There's even an SLX Shadow Plus rear derailleur now as well.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Many people prefer the latest XT shifters to XTR, they are a bit heavier but the lever has a more solid feel to the composite ones on the XTR, the XTR work fine, just aren't meant to feel as nice.

Not sure I'd be putting XT/R on a generic frame unless you plan future upgrades........ although mine has XT/R on a generic frame.........
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

02GF74

by 02GF74

best bang per buck? I would say XTR cassette, XT shifters, XTR rear mech, XT front mech KMC X10SL chain

skywalker268

by skywalker268

XT Shifters
XT Cassette
KMC X10SL chain
XT FD
XTR Shadow+ RD
XTR Crank

There's no need for an XTR cassette. you could probably swap to a SLX cassette and get the exact same shifting, just a bit heavier.

tzeonn

by tzeonn

disagree about the XT and XTR cassette being similar in shifting. I am using 9 speed and have used both XT and XTR, shifting is much more smoother, quieter and slick on XTR compared to XT (using M960 now, vs previous M770 and M750 cassettes).

To TS, suggest a full XT, with XTR chain. Not sure about the new cranks, but I find the previous gen of XT cranks to be stiffer (under load) than XTR cranks (M760 vs M960), but slicker and smoother shifting on XTR cranks. XTR chains imo best shifting chains i have used.

drider85

by drider85

If your on a tighter budget SLX crank is lighter than the XT. But to answer your question it makes sense to me up jump to XTR on the crank, brakes and Rear derailleur.

Avexo

by Avexo

tzeonn wrote:disagree about the XT and XTR cassette being similar in shifting. I am using 9 speed and have used both XT and XTR, shifting is much more smoother, quieter and slick on XTR compared to XT (using M960 now, vs previous M770 and M750 cassettes).

On 9 speed i agree an XTR cassette is better but on 10 speed its unnoticeable as the shift ramps and cut outs are all in the same place, shifters and rear mech make a big difference on 10 speed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tzeonn

by tzeonn

Avexo wrote:On 9 speed i agree an XTR cassette is better but on 10 speed its unnoticeable as the shift ramps and cut outs are all in the same place, shifters and rear mech make a big difference on 10 speed.

As with the $$$ diff betw XTR and XT :lol: