crank brothers cobalt spacer for cassette

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

02GF74

by 02GF74

Got a pair of these wheels and fitted XTR cassette (and also an XT) to find the alloy spider interfers with the hub so that the freehub will not turn.

A quick look on the internet reveals that is a spacer 21010-30 to solve this.

So is anyone using one of these - is there anythihng special about this part, I mean can I use for example a cassette spacer or make my own from a sheet of aluminium? If anyone has one of these, please can you post photo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

02GF74

by 02GF74

spent the evening making a spacer from 2 mm al sheet, fitted spacer and XTR cassette and whoopee the spider clears the hub. :lol: .... my happiness was short lived as when I came to fit the rest of the sprockets to find the 11 T does not engage with the slpines. hmmmmm ... so I measure the freehub length and compare to a Roval hub and guess what - the same. (ok, I shoulkd have measured it before but was convinced from the Crank Bro blurm that I needed a spacer)

So basically no spacer is needed but I need to find a light cassette that has no protrusions beyond the largest sprocket - any suggestions?

CGT

by CGT

02GF74 wrote:spent the evening making a spacer from 2 mm al sheet, fitted spacer and XTR cassette and whoopee the spider clears the hub. :lol: .... my happiness was short lived as when I came to fit the rest of the sprockets to find the 11 T does not engage with the slpines. hmmmmm ... so I measure the freehub length and compare to a Roval hub and guess what - the same. (ok, I shoulkd have measured it before but was convinced from the Crank Bro blurm that I needed a spacer)

So basically no spacer is needed but I need to find a light cassette that has no protrusions beyond the largest sprocket - any suggestions?

SRAM XX or XG-999 if you run 9-speed maybe?

02GF74

by 02GF74

Luckily managed to recover the photos off my bad memory card, so here they are and some info.
To summarise the problem: some cassettes have rivets to hold the largest sprocket to an alloy carrier that contact the lugs for the spokes. The worst offender is early XTR and XT cassette. The later XTR M970 has a thinner carrier so the rivets don't stick out as much and will work with this hub.

Hopefully the photos make it really clear. All cassettes are 11-32 9 speed.

Shimano XTR M960 - fat alloy spider that sticks out and contacts the hub

Shimano XT - alloy spider but with protruding rivets that contact hub

Shimano LX - flat steel sprockets clears hub

SRAM X0 - alloy spider but rivets clear hub

...... yep, I did realise the XRAM XX will fit but that is mega ££££ .... fortunately the lesser X0 will fit, just a pity they are not available with black or blue alloy carrier (later XTR will fit too)