Cannondale F29 FD placement + frame protection

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Just got the bike.

I have been skimming through the owner's manual, and I noticed the part KP123 chainplate. What is this thing for? The reason I ask is that it looks like the top of the FD is rubbing the frame. Like this:

Also, the bike didn't come with a downtube protector (KP054) and scuffguards (KF103). Should I have received those with the bike?

EDIT: The bike also doesn't have protective film on the right chainstay. It does have a neoprene chainstay protector, but I thought it should have protective film as well? Something like this: http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Cannon ... p_449.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The flash seat tube always sits very close to the back of the front derailleur. Some particular front derailleurs will not fit due to interference. I can't see yours that well but if it was mounted, it's probably fine.
As I recall, mountain bikes that come with the neoprene chainstay protector do not have s separate clear vinyl protector. I remember the downtube protector coming factory installed, the scuffguards should be provided, I'm sure the place you got it from will just give you some.

tetonrider

by tetonrider

the_marsbar wrote:Just got the bike.

I have been skimming through the owner's manual, and I noticed the part KP123 chainplate. What is this thing for? The reason I ask is that it looks like the top of the FD is rubbing the frame. Like this:
{/quote]

kp123 is for fitting a shimano FD on there. it is not needed if you are running a sram FD.

the_marsbar wrote:Also, the bike didn't come with a downtube protector (KP054) and scuffguards (KF103). Should I have received those with the bike?

no. neither one is supplied as standard.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Thanks for the replies. I'll ask them if they have any spare protection tape.

I think I'll take a closer look at that FD. I just want to make sure it's OK.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Hmm, I don't have the hex wrench to remove the cranks at the moment (10 mm). I thought I had, but I don't. What I did do was to loosen the leftmost screw that holds the front derailleur.

It does seem like the front derailleur is just touching the frame. Should I do anything about this? I am worried that vibrations might cause scratching of the frame.

Could other Flash 29er owners please check how much space is between their front derailleurs and the seat tube?

skywalker268

by skywalker268

Mine is touching just a tiny bit as well (f29 carbon 3, size L. X7 derailleur.) I removed the derailleur and put a frame saver there (the little clear 3m patches that come with all cannondales) Once tightened down, it compresses the sticker a little bit, but it seems like its going to prevent the frame from getting scratched.

tetonrider

by tetonrider

hi, marsbar--i wanted to amend something that i wrote earlier.

my scalpel did not come with the downtube protector, but my flash did come with the KP054 part installed, as well as several other scuff guards to prevent cable rub.

i apologize for that confusion.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

No worries. I bought some coptertape and used that instead:)

skywalker268: Thanks for the information. I might do the same.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com