HELP: Between sizes on 29er HT - Why did Stems get so short?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

serum

by serum

I'm 194 (6ft4) with an inseam of 96cm. I am running a cannondale 26er too, with a 130mm stem, but my saddle is relative high (few cm's lower than on my roadbike) I like to run the frames relative small too, my roadbike is a 58cm with a 120mm stem. I run my saddle a tad higher on my roadbike than on my mtb's.

On my 29er i run a 100mm stem. The toptube simple is longer. The drop from the saddle to the handlebar is about 12cm on my 29er. on my roadbike this is tad deeper, but in the drops it's a fair bit deeper. (long legs, short torso, long arms.

An observation from my side; With smaller sized frames, the angle of the seat-tube is more backwards. So with the same total saddle height for a small and a large frame, the more your positioned above the rear-wheel with a smaller frame. (at least, the frames i've came acros)

i've jumped the 29er wagon as soon as it came out. started with a Salsa Mamasite in L, which turned out to be very shimmy at speeds above 15mph, and i'm now riding a Gary fisher Superfly. The position on my 29er gives me a far more secure feeling when cornering. (I can cut faster corners, so i don't need to invest too much energy to get to speed again)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

js

by js

What size superfly are you on then Serum?

I've also preferred 58cm road bikes (Tarmac, Cervelo & Giant in L), and run a 130mm stem, with similar drop, so it sounds possible that we might enjoy similar positions.

Do you have any pics of your set-up, ideally with you riding? I'd be keen to compare notes.

serum

by serum

I'm on an XL, which turned out perfect for me. (although the seat tube sticks out rather far above the toptube, so its quite an unfair 'XL' entitlement IMO).