XX1 chainring bolts - new standard?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

Hi, I have two XX1 32T here, no one of my chainring bolt does fit there with minimal play.
8mm excessive play, will strip when tightened, XX 10mm don´t fit at all.
I have checked all holes, same play and my vernier caliper says approx 7.9mm diameter.
Last edited by Mattias Hellöre on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Experimental Prototype

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Since I am a single speeder I am curious of this because SRAM has apparently quite making the 1.1 series cranks and expects everyone to switch to these. I like a bash and have heard that it is almost impossible to fit a bash to these cranks and I also like Q-rings and have heard that they might not fit either. Any info would be appreciated.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

limba

by limba

Interesting and possibly sneaky.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

Isn't that the chainring bolt size from the small (granny) ring on a triple?

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

A friend to me did a bit of research, he called SRAM and they said the SRAM RED 2013 chainring bolts should fit.
My next question is, is these bolts any different than XX 10mm or standard 8mm bolts? I don´t know another types of bolts than these.
Experimental Prototype

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

The Sram Red 2013 can use standard bcd130 chainrings (including ours) so the chainring bolts, other than the hidden one, must be standard.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

@Stephen: Maybe so, but I don't think necessarily so. I think the SRAM red chainrings are themselves threaded, so just because replacing the chainring with another model ring allows normal bolts I don't think means that normal bolts can be used with SRAM chainrings. From what Mattias has said it seems like the threads on the XX1 ring are _very_ close to standard, enough that it seems like it works until you tighten it down hard. But that would probably be good enough for a sram red crank's spider to work just fine with after market rings and bolts.
I'm the one who talked to SRAM for Mattias. The tech person didn't seem to know the spec for the bolts, but just verified compatibility with the new 2013 red bolts. It just seems a bit unlikely to me that normal bolts would work or they would have given a wider range of compatibility (they were very specific about it having to be the new red bolts). Having said that, I also asked R2-bike about it because they always seem very knowledgeable (they also sell the Leonardi spider and the XX1 rings), and they told me normal bolts (abeit short ones) would work (they suggested some carbo-cage ones for single speeds). It's a bit of a mystery right now, but I've ordered both sets of bolts and will report findings once I have them (probably about 7-10 days away).

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Since apparently the spider only has a ridge on one side (the outside) does this mean it might be possible to run a bash with longer bolts and spacers between the ring and the bash? Also, would Rotor rings work?

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Only if you convinced Mattias or someone like him to make one for you specially: the XX1 has a (new standard) asymmetric spider - you won't find any other chainrings let alone bash guards that will fit on that crank.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Way to go SRAM. I just ordered a new old stock OCT so I won't need any more cranks for a long time. If anyone needs one I know where there are 5 more left, PM me.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

dwaharvey wrote:From what Mattias has said it seems like the threads on the XX1 ring are _very_ close to standard, enough that it seems like it works until you tighten it down hard. But that would probably be good enough for a sram red crank's spider to work just fine with after market rings and bolts.

I think I'm going to have to take a close look at an Sram XX1 crankset. I quite like the idea of trying one out. :D

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

A slight update.
I ordered two sets of these
http://r2-bike.com/kettenblattschrauben-carbocage-kurz
As per recommendation from Robert at R2 Bike, he is a honest guy which I like to talk and buy stuff from :)

Let us see how they fit when I receive them.
Experimental Prototype

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

I must have misunderstood. I thought the problem was the diameter, but looking at those chainring bolts, it's the length that was the issue? They're obviously for single ring use compared to standard double ring chainring bolts, which you wouldn't be able to use on a single ring setup.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

The problem is the diameter not length.
I will try that for you WW guys.
Experimental Prototype