handbuilt mud/training wheels help

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

I want to build a cheap custom wheelset that will see a lot of road and dirt road use with slick tires and it will also serve as a mud wheelset when the forecast for races will be sketchy or course muddy. They are going to be used with tubes so no need for something that sets up tubeless easily.

I want the wheelset to be reliable and strong and I dont care about weight. This is a budget build so I dont want to spend big money of rims or spokes, the only place I want to put a bit more money is on the hubs. I need a front 15mm thru axle hub and a 142x12 rear hubs.

Here's what I thought of

hubs

-dt swiss 350
-hope pro 2
-sram X9

spokes and nips
-I will use brass nipples
-any strong and cheap spokes

rims
-I am very unsure here, should I go with something wide? Wide=wider seated tire for more traction?
-anything cheap and reliable

Feel free to suggest any hubs and rims or comment on current suggested hubs, I need info and help as I dont know much about cheap rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

A23/Sapim Race/Ultegra......factory hubs are the best for ease of service

EDIT: missed your hub spacing requirement..... :oops:

devinci

by devinci

Its mtb.... I need disc hubs

sstefanov

by sstefanov

My mud wheelset may fill your requirements. I am using:

Hope Pro II - not very expensive, reliable, flexible, easily serviceable and parts readily available.
DT SuperComp Spokes - strong, and not very expensive.
Rims - My current rims on this wheelset are DT Swiss XR4.2 with tubeless rimstrip. They have been bombproof, built to 120kgf spoke tension. If I am building it today I will probably go with Notubes Crest or similar. I would suggest to go wide - much better for tyre stability with tubeless tyres and low pressure.

Stefan

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Budget build but Hope DT's e.tc are suggested as hubs these are not cheap.

My suggestion for a reiable wheelset would be the Shimano M788 rear hub and M758 front hub would cover your hub needs for less money and provide the raliability you need.

For rims there are a number of options. Mavic En521, 721 or 729's would provide a relaible riding. The 721 or 729 if you want wide have proven themselves as "boomproof). For less money the EN521 is still a preety good rim and for tyres up to 2.3"

Velocity do the 35mm wide P35 which is an excellent rim and not too heavy. All of these are options are cheaper and stonger than stans rims.

Spokes: spaim race with brass nipples. 32 front and rear in a 3x pattern.

XT hubs are so good for the price it is hard to find a reason not to use them.

devinci

by devinci

I want to stay clear of centerlock hubs.

Dt 350 can be had for ~400$ and hope pro 2 for ~375$

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Centerlock-to-6bolt adapters are pretty light these days, and generally cheap, so I wouldn't completely discount them.

devinci

by devinci

ok guys I like the XT hubs suggestion there. They are cheap indeed, will strongly consider them. Where can I find cheap centerlock to 6 bolt adapters?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

A google search will turn up many. I think even shimano do one. Superstar do another. There is an aligator one I think. So mnay and they all do the same thing. You could make one yourself if you had a CNC machine.

Geoff

by Geoff

Vincent, didn't you say you didn't cate about the weight? The center lock actually works just fine. One of our Forum members makes a crazy light set. I have a pair and am going to run them on my tubulars next season. Stupid-light...

devinci

by devinci

Well, I wasnt concern about centerlock to bolt adapter making it heavy. I was unconfortable with centerlock cause I never used some and dont know the pro/con of such a system. But at the price thise xt hub can be had, I dont care. Add cheap strong rims and spokes and I can have a 250-300$ wheels and drop the temaining cash on a pc7 SRM
8)

Patrul

by Patrul

How about the Sun Ringle Dirty Flea rear hub, it can be on 12x142mm, and 308g claimed.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I think centre lock is better mounting system that 6 bolts. Nothing to seize, less chance of threading, heat disapation should be good. All pluses as far as I can see. Downside, more expensive discs and and you do need a tool or remove. However is a free wheel tool is something you don't have then buy one.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Centerlock rotors are also stiffer. And so much easier and quicker to install and remove. When you have a pile of disc brake equipped bikes to build, you quickly learn to appreciate centerlock rotors.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Lace up some XT hubs to Velocity A23 Rims. That would be a solid, reasonably priced build that would be easy to service when that time finally does come.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com