Sram XX1 chainring 10 speed compatibility

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

keunes

by keunes

Hello,

I'm interested in the compatibility between the 11 speed chainring of sram xx1 and 10 speed sram/shimano chain's. I've it is possible than would it function like the xx1 chain, would it stick just as good to the chainring?

Do you guys think that the xx1 chainring is less subject to wear because of the higher and wider tooth?

Thnks!

grover

by grover

The internal width of the XX1 chain and the SRAM 10 speed chains is apparently the same. That means that SRAM 10 speed chains will be retained on the XX1 chainrings just as well.
The difference in the chains is the width of outer plates, XX1 being slightly narrower. It also has no bevelling to assist with front shifting (obviously)

I don't know the dimensions of Shimano chains so can't advise how they'll work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

limba

by limba

The XX1 chain has a coating on it that SRAM says improves durability. In the future they will use it on their other chains as well.

There's a guy on the mtbr forum that tried his 9 speed cassette/shifter/rear der with the XX1 crank/ring/chain. He said it worked. He's going to try using it with a 10 speed cassette next.

I think it will work with 10. You just won't have the mega range.

keunes

by keunes

Okay,

Thanks for the reply!

What about the durability of the xx1 chainrings?

limba

by limba

Too soon to tell. Guys just started riding them this month.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Varaxis

by Varaxis

I tried to pry for info about the chainrings, especially since they're marked at about $90-125 USD retail (depending on # of teeth), and current premium single specific rings are about $50. The SRAM tech rep that comes by to bike shops to do Q&A about new product launches simply said it was machined from 7000 series alloy blank and given a hard wearing coating. What coating, I wonder... possibly a DLC coating? Memories of Shimano's M950 grey hard ano coating... they don't really make 'em like that any more.