HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Frame size for myself
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:01 pm
Posts: 21
Sorry for asking this as I'm sure it's been asked hundreds of times but I've struggled to find an answer online.
I am wanting to by a new mountain bike frame and I'm a bit confused by info I have read online and my own personal experiences.
I am 1.66cm (5' 4.5") and currently have a 16" frame. I use it mostly for road riding and getting to work etc but do use it for off-road mountain biking fairly often. I have the seat raised quite a lot and although I do lower for parts of off-road stuff, I never put it all the way down.
So my confusion is this. I have seen a second hand frame which I am very keen on getting and from my own experiences with my current frame I assumed an 18" would be what I would need. However, everything I read online suggests my current frame is the one I need.
In case anyone is wondering I got my current frame (bike) when I was about 13 (I'm now 24) and clearly haven't grown much as I am short :). I have upgraded most parts on it and was now looking at changing the frame and putting the new parts onto that, but I've hit this road block.
Help and advice appreciated.
Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:35 pm
Posts: 65
Bike sizes are confusing, the top tube length is the important part. You can get the seat higher by using a longer seatpost.

But an 18" frame would certainly be to big

Infact, I'd have thought smaller than a 16" might be even better for you.

Your best bet is to try some.


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:08 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:02 pm
Posts: 113
At your height 18 would be too big. I'm 5'7" and a 16" is perfect.

I could go a little larger but that size fits really well. I would use 16" as your max size.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:57 am
Posts: 38
Mrtennis wrote:
Sorry for asking this as I'm sure it's been asked hundreds of times but I've struggled to find an answer online.
I am wanting to by a new mountain bike frame and I'm a bit confused by info I have read online and my own personal experiences.
I am 1.66cm (5' 4.5") and currently have a 16" frame. I use it mostly for road riding and getting to work etc but do use it for off-road mountain biking fairly often. I have the seat raised quite a lot and although I do lower for parts of off-road stuff, I never put it all the way down.
So my confusion is this. I have seen a second hand frame which I am very keen on getting and from my own experiences with my current frame I assumed an 18" would be what I would need. However, everything I read online suggests my current frame is the one I need.
In case anyone is wondering I got my current frame (bike) when I was about 13 (I'm now 24) and clearly haven't grown much as I am short :). I have upgraded most parts on it and was now looking at changing the frame and putting the new parts onto that, but I've hit this road block.
Help and advice appreciated.
Thanks


I am the same height as u, I ride between a 15-16 inch frame..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:01 pm
Posts: 21
I'm surprised you all think 16" is fine. Just measured my seat post and it's raised by almost 7" for road riding! Seems like a lot to me. I'd never lower it more than 3.5" for for any type of riding I don't think either.
On th frame it is actually marked as 16" but I measured it and it's 16" from centre of BB to the very top of the seat post tube - not just the crossbar but the bit that sticks up above that, not sure what that's called. Is that the usual measurement that is taken or is normally up to the crossbar and no further?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 53
Location: Southeast England
I would stick with a 16" as a maximum to be honest.A smaller frame with saddle adjustment is always nicer that a larger frame without.A smaller frame offers much more stand over height which i prefer over largers frames that bring the top tube height up quite abit.

As mentioned,check the top tube length of both.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:57 am
Posts: 38
Image
My Turner Flux (trail /xc)
size: 15

Image
My Custom AM Ti HT
size: well, measuring from bb centre to top of seattube.. 16

Image
My Carbon weight weenie XC
size: 15.5

Image
My Kona Kula XC
size: 16

so yea, all abt 7" of seatpost sitting proud of the top-tube
and all an awesome fit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 6:25 pm
Posts: 1397
In a nutshell: A bike has three contact points. Pedals, saddle, handlebar.

As long as they are where they have to be and the bike still handles well, you don't have to care about how they got there.

_________________
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:01 pm
Posts: 21
Elstorma wrote:
Image
My Turner Flux (trail /xc)
size: 15

Image
My Custom AM Ti HT
size: well, measuring from bb centre to top of seattube.. 16

Image
My Carbon weight weenie XC
size: 15.5

Image
My Kona Kula XC
size: 16

so yea, all abt 7" of seatpost sitting proud of the top-tube
and all an awesome fit.


I take it you're the same height as me then?
It just seems to me that if you have the seat raised by 7" then surely I (or even yourself) would be ok with an 18". Anyway, I'm going to go to a bike shop to try out an 18" so I know exactly what I should be looking for and if I should be sticking with the 16".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:57 am
Posts: 38
Mrtennis wrote:
Elstorma wrote:
Image
My Turner Flux (trail /xc)
size: 15

Image
My Custom AM Ti HT
size: well, measuring from bb centre to top of seattube.. 16

Image
My Carbon weight weenie XC
size: 15.5

Image
My Kona Kula XC
size: 16

so yea, all abt 7" of seatpost sitting proud of the top-tube
and all an awesome fit.


I take it you're the same height as me then?
It just seems to me that if you have the seat raised by 7" then surely I (or even yourself) would be ok with an 18". Anyway, I'm going to go to a bike shop to try out an 18" so I know exactly what I should be looking for and if I should be sticking with the 16".


There is top tube length that comes into play,
plus when riding on trails, the stand over height is much needed.
and when dropping bigger drops and railing down some of the gnarlier downhill runs, dropping that seat is gonna save ya family jewels. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:05 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:10 pm
Posts: 53
Location: Southeast England
Elstorma wrote:

There is top tube length that comes into play,
plus when riding on trails, the stand over height is much needed.
and when dropping bigger drops and railing down some of the gnarlier downhill runs, dropping that seat is gonna save ya family jewels. :thumbup:


Plus smaller frames always look alot nicer in my opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fitty4 and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Need advice on frame size

in Road

poppiholla

5

891

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:54 pm

shimmeD View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Gt Zaskar Team carbon frame 26" size S

in For sale - Pictures are mandatory 22-3-13

tskubi

0

139

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:27 am

tskubi View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. For sale - new Scott Scale RC frame L size 475Eur

in For sale - Pictures are mandatory 22-3-13

karlux

0

211

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:55 am

karlux View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Principia Revolution SX 2009 frame size information

in Road

hoojammyflip

7

737

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:33 pm

Krull View the latest post


It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB