20 lb HT for under $1000?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TooSteep

by TooSteep

Hello all:

Total newbie here.

I've been looking for a bike to use as a fire-road explorer and gravel grinder, as opposed to a true singletrack mountain bike. I'd like to put some tires with a very supple casing on it for a fast, plush ride. And I wouldn't mind something along the lines of a White Brothers Rock Solid fork to smooth out the gravel but also keep the weight down.

A few days ago, I was checking out an eBay listing for a 2007 Salsa Moto Rapido (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Large-Sals ... 7675.l2557). The seller told me that it weighted 19.6 lbs! I'm kind of kicking myself for not picking that up for just over $500.

So I guess now my question is - how reasonable is it to find a 20 lb bike for that kind of price? I like light bikes. I don't mind the V-brakes the Salsa had. I'm looking for something light, smooth, fast and comfortable. Was the weight for that Moto Rapido likely accurate?

Any help on where I should be looking, and what I should be looking for would be greatly appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chucklight

by chucklight

If you check out a couple of my posts a few below in the MTB section of the forum you'll see how close you can get to 20lbs with a more modern alu framed bike by not spending a grand, I'm in no doubt that with a slightly older bike you can get below that mark

I guess the equation is extra lbs and tech V's age
Bike: 2012 Boardman HT Pro MTB - 21.838lbs / 9.906kg (for now...)

andrewh8877

by andrewh8877

If you are happy with rigid forks, singlespeed and buying used parts it should be really easy.
I got a 2004 Saracen Killi frame (new, old stock), the magnesium one, in 2006 for £40. That was 2.9Lbs. That was a good starting point, I'm sure you can find simliar.
The bits are out there, just takes a bit of effort to find on fleabay sometimes.

limba

by limba

I have one of those black Rapidos. I have mine set up with a Salsa rigid fork, v-brakes, XT type components, nothing fancy but everything is decent. My frame is a medium. I think my bike was 20 pounds? That guys' bike didn't weigh 19 pounds.

The only way you're going to get a 20 pound bike for $1000 is by buying something used or being extremely patient and searching for deals. A scandium frame is a good place to start. The Salsa is nice because you can use V's or discs. My frame was $600 and the fork was $90. Both were new. You can find them for half that used.

You might also want to check out some cross bikes or even one of those Chinese carbon mtn. frames.

fastvegan

by fastvegan

I built a 17lb full rigid 1x10 bike for around $1k usd. I don't have the full build list but here are the basics

eBay open mold frame $310 1300grams
eBay carbon fork $80 600grams
SRAM x7 shifter
SRAM red cassette
SRAM force rear der
SRAM carbon crank XO
Circus monkey hubs built to remerix tubular rims tufo xc2 tires
Aest levers to bengal mechanic calipers
kcnc rotors
Basic alloy and TI bolt tuning.

You get the idea. If you are patient and check eBay for used deals it is possible.

Good luck

limba

by limba

Yup. That's what you have to do to get that light for that amount of money. My Salsa frame would be around 1400 g and cost 600 dollars new. The steel fork is around 1100 g and cost 100 dollars.
So just those two pieces alone I've spent more money on heavier parts.
You have to be patient, look for deals and piece a it together or find someone desperate selling their used bike.

Zachariah

by Zachariah

I am building a 2001 Cannondale CAAD4 Bad Boy Ultra....and it's supposed to be 17-pounds/7.71kg, with a 80mm front suspension! Still waiting for more parts(highlighted):

2001 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra(sz S)
Super Fatty Ultra Headshok 80mm
Cannondale Si 115mm stem
Schmolke TLO Carbon 25.4mm x 610 bar
Ritchey WCS Carbon Superlogic seatpost
Fizik Gobi XM saddle
FSA Energy 46-36 Cyclocross crankset 170mm
Shimano XTR BB-9700 bottom bracket
Shimano Dura Ace CS-7700 11-27 cassette(modified)
Crank Brothers Candy 4ti pedals
Magura Marta SL brakes/Magura Storm SL 160mm rotors
SRAM X0 9-speed twist shifters
SRAM X0 9-speed rear derailleur
SRAM Rival 10-speed front derailleur
SRAM PC-1091R Hollowpin chain
Asian-made 38mm deep carbon 700c disc wheelset
Continental Ultra Race 700c x 25 tires
Continental Ultra Race 700c tubes

Total Cost = $1900USD(photos soon!)
Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com