Nearing the end of what has turned into ww build

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bryant

by Bryant

Hey guys, I'm getting close to saying enough is enough on making my bike lighter. It's at 17.86 pounds right now which is lighter than my road bike haha. But honestly I think it matters a lot more with a mountain bike. Anyway I'd like to get it down to 17 lbs even. I figure I'll throw on some light rotors, either AI2s or something similar. Also ditch the heavy pedals in favor or time's or looks. If it looks rather thrown together out of random parts...it has been haha. But it serves me well as an every day trail bike and occasional xc racer.

Gary Fisher (geared) superfly frame 19"
Niner carbon fork
Cane Creek ZS carbon headset
Bontrager RXL stem 90mm 7 degree (with ti bolts)
S Works star headset cap (with ti bolt)
Bontrager RXL handlebars
ESI Chunky grips
Shimano M486 Brakes
Avid Clean Sweep 160mm rotors F&R
Bontrager RXL seatpost
Bontrager Evoke RXL saddle (146)
1 Bontrager RL bottle cage (ti bolts)
XTR M950 crankset (with 34T 110mm chainring) matching bottom bracket
ACS 18T freewheel (for now, until I figure out what gear I want)
SRAM PC1051 chain
Surly hubs
Wheelsmith double butted spokes
Stans Crest rims
Bontrager 29-0 Tires 29X2.10
Shimano M540 pedals
Attachments
2012-10-24 23.20.11.jpg

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Just buy new wheels. Something with a SS freehub. Those Surly hubs are tanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Some obvious ones
Brakes....going to a used set of XT's will save you about 100g's for not too much money, M765's are lighter (about 10g an end) to the M775 (M765 come out at about 271g for lever/hose/caliper for the front, about 20g more for the rear) and can be found quite cheap, better still on mine I made sure both my callipers were direct mounted to fork and frame as adaptors and the extra pair of bolts adds around 30g an end, to achieve that I bought (effectively) 3 sets of brakes and made up a set with the lever and caliper I didn't need after mixing and matching parts, M486 caliper is quoted as 155g, my M765 is 117g with standard pads.

Alligator discs are 82g for 160mm and can be found quite cheap, that will save about 30-40g each end.

What tubes, or what tubless kit are you running?

Pedals as you say, the M540's are heavy, much heavier than some (no longer made) Ritcheys I have that are actually much nicer pedals.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Bryant

by Bryant

For the brakes I've been holding out to find a good deal on some Formula R1s on ebay. I do like the idea of going with shimanos (xt or xtr) so I can get an iso mount rear and post mount front though. I'm running the tires tubeless (no way I would ride rigid with tubes.) I'll replace the wheels before next race season. Stans crest on yet to be determined hubs. I really hate these surly hubs haha.