Going 29'er but have some questions.

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BmanX

by BmanX

I am thinking about getting a carbon 29'er with rigid fork. Just for gravel paths and some mild single track.
Questions.

I have pretty much all of the component that I need save the wheels and frame/forks. I am currently running XX derailleurs, shifters and cassette, will buy some new XX brakes, Syntace stem, Easton bars and Thomson post.

I am unsure of the gearing and what wheels to get.

Frame can be bought in BB30 or BSA - I currently have 2 cranks (44t/30t Extralite on carbon cranks and 32t carbon spiderless ring on carbon cranks) I am willing to sell both cranks to buy a BB30 set up but is it that much better?

Wheels - I was thinking of getting some Stan's No Tubes Crest ZTR 29er wheelset which would mean having to get some new tires as well. Any thoughts on tires?

Everything else is sorted out for components. and I will run the stem negetive to lower the front end a bit.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

44 is probably too tall. The XX cranks come with a 39 outer ring for 29er applications and with a 11 that will really get you going on anything but the steepest descents.

SteveJames

by SteveJames

Bear in mind you will need a approx 4 tooth smaller chainring on a 29er to get the same ratios as a 26er with the same cassette. I generally used a 36t or 38t single ring on my 26er race bike but 32t or 34t on the 29er. Its suprising how many don't work out the difference needed!

BmanX

by BmanX

Well lucky I have a custom make 32t carbon spiderless chainring in the garage so I should be fine if I can sell the 26" bike first. I am thinking about going single front anyways.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

SteveJames

by SteveJames

Sounds made for the job! Rare that you will run out of gears on a 32 and the 32/36 gives you a pretty good climbing gear

BmanX

by BmanX

Only issue is that the cranks is make for BSA and not BB30 which I would like to go with this time.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

SteveJames

by SteveJames

For sure you can get adaptors to run hollowtech 2 chainsets in bb30 frames. take a look at ultimate ceramic bearings website. they have some listed and sure must be others available also

BmanX

by BmanX

Or I could go with BB30 and pick up some sweet Cannondale cranks which would allow me to remove spider and buy another carbon spider.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

jooo

by jooo

Nowhere near as bling as SiSL, but SRAM can be good value for money.
Not bad weight considering that the cranks can go for under $100 new on eBay.

Carbon saves a bit of weight and both the Aluminum and Carbon cranks come in BB30 versions which are lighter than GXP.

If you do go BB30 and can get them from the USA, S-Works is definitely the best value for money by far. $300 for one of the lightest set ups out there, much easier on the wallet than SiSL.

BmanX

by BmanX

Thanks for the heads up as that will allow for a cheaper set up with not a bad weight penalty. I am still very unsure about going 32t front only or going with a 2 X 10 set up. 1 X 10 set up would most likely stick with thumb shifters but if I go 2 X 10 then I am going grip shift for sure.

1 X 10 would be a less expensive set up for sure.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

jooo

by jooo

Carbon-Ti also do a spiderless double set up for most of the new spiderless cranks too. Pretty cheap/light way to 'bling-up' SRAM cranks. The S-Works cranks fit the Lightning 104/64 spider which weighs less than pretty much all the Spec. versions and lets you run normal rings without much of a weight penalty also.

devinci

by devinci

BmanX wrote:Or I could go with BB30 and pick up some sweet Cannondale cranks which would allow me to remove spider and buy another carbon spider.

shameless plug, I have a road version of the c-dale sisl for sale in the classifieds. PM me if interrested, 575$ shipped or make an offer ;)

also have a bb and tools... :P

BmanX

by BmanX

Well nothing is going to happen unless I can sell the PF MT frame in the classifieds as well. Until such time, I have to just look. If that does not sell then I will buy the Trigon Carbon fork and just keep the bike and stick with 26" which is not what I want to do. I think if I am going to stick with full rigid that it would be better to move up to 29" and have a higher front end for my back.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

BmanX

by BmanX

@jooo - What cranks are those from Sram.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

jooo

by jooo

The aluminum arms are pretty much the same AFAIK (S1400/X7/X9) - apart from the decals but I think both of the ones shown are S1400. The X7/X9 seem to all be Truvativ branded. The carbons are XO...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com