Fellow WWs, I'd like your opinions on upgrades for my Top Fuel. I have some extra bucks burning a hole in my pocket and I'd like to put the TF on a diet. I'm very happy with the current performance of the bike, but would like to drop some weight
I'm an American but now live and work in Guangxi, China (google "Guilin" to get a feel for the area). I do not race anymore, but use the TF for exploring the countryside surrounding the city on paved, gravel and dirt roads. I ride for health, fitness and fun. The road conditions here vary from brand new smooth pavement to busted concrete to large loose rocks to smooth small gravel to loose dirt. I do not ride in the mud any significant distance. Roads tend to be either flat or steep. One favorite ride is an out and back with 10 miles of flat paved roads leading to dirt/ big loose rock road that has 1.5mi of rolling hills then a 2.5mi climb that averages more than 9% (GPS 24.326893,109.513054). We also have some decent double track.
I'd say my riding profile breaks down as such:
city cruising - 10%
paved roads - 25%
rock/dirt roads - 40%
single/double track - 25%
My goals and misc thoughts:
* Tires must be bulletproof - flatting is a huge pet peeve of mine and I'm willing to carry some extra weight to prevent it. I plan to lose some weight off tires/tubes, but am not interested in anything fragile.
* I do use the 22x34 gear surprisingly often, so I need something that low
* Durability and reliability is a must. When I go out the bike must get me back home. Also, my nearest good LBS is a +2hr plane ride away.
* I'd like to keep the frame. It is painted a metallic red which I think is stunning. Call me shallow.
* I will change to 180mm cranks. I'm 6'3" (1.9m) tall and love the 180's on my road bikes.
* pedals must be egg beater compatible since I have them on all my bikes and use 1 pair of shoes for all of them.
* I really like having bar ends, so will have something there. Changing hand position really helps a previously injured shoulder on longer rides.
* I'd like tires that roll faster on pavement without giving up too much grip when on the trails.
* I never ride in sand or mud
Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated!