Brain upgrade a RS SID WC XX

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rogue

by Rogue

I have searched all over the web and I can not seem to find the answer.

I have a Rock Shox SID World Cup XX on my HT and a SID 29 Brain from a Specialized Epic Expert 2012. Can I swap the carbon crown/steerer from the WC to the Brain fork and thus get a SID 29 Brain with carbon crown? Are they interchangeable?

Thanks in advance.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

socratease

by socratease

I believe you can. Specialized offers a brain upgrade program to consumers. Rockshox forks are also pretty modular.

Better yet, I've got a brain damper that I'll straight up trade you! 8)

Rogue

by Rogue

Thanks for your answer.

Hehe, I'll just wait and see if I can use the Brain cartridge from my SID 29" Brain.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

socratease

by socratease

Update: Just tried to install a DNA damper into my brain fork. The way the dampers work is different than other RockShox ones. If you have a complete damper assembly (including damper shaft, circlips) for both forks, it should work, but it is not as simple as just swapping out the damper cartridges.

Since you would be moving internals from one fork to another, it should work. One thing to note, however, is that the 2011 and 2012 model years have different dampers. This is probably just a change in how high the damper sits, and could be compensated for by oil volume. But if the forks are of diferent model years I would hesitate.

Willpower

by Willpower

Ok, I have done this.

You must have 2012 Rock shox and 2012 Specialized brain. you need to swap out all of the damper parts within the right hand stantion.

I tried with a 2011 brain and it didn't work although the 2011 brain will fit the 2010/11 Reba.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XC-MTB

by XC-MTB

Hallo,

I have a SID brain 29 and a SID RLT 29 here. Would like to use the casting of the RLT (tapered, qr15) but the damper of the brain fork. Do you know if I can just change the right side of the fork or do I have to change the left too?

How much oil is necessary in the right side for the brain? The RLT should be around 94ml.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Matthias