Swapping FSA BB30 crank for another FSA BB30 crank

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

chucklight

by chucklight

I wasn't planning on upgrading the crankset on my Boardman Pro HT, certainly not until my current one was showing signs of wear and tear but I managed to get hold of a dirt cheap replacement which is a model up in the range and would save me a hundred or so grams.

New one: FSA Afterburner Compact 386 BB30 27T/42T (no bearings, just the spacers included)
Current one: FSA Comet Compact 386 BB30 27T/42T

I think or at least thought that they were basically the same crankset just one with hollow crank arms, going by the FSA website both cranksets use the same bottom bracket shell and bearings (BB-OS7000) so I assumed it would be a direct swap in and out.
As the bearings wern't included with the crankset but I had planned to use the already fitted ones from my Comet crankset which I thought would be running the same BB. I still do sort of think this but the guy in my LBS seems to think that I'll need to purchase new bearings from FSA which I dont 100% agree with.

I emailed FSA asking about the BB and bearings, they responded with this:
"Thanks for your e-mail, the BB is the same for both cranks so as long as you follow the assembly guide this will work perfectly."

By this does he mean the BB and bearings or do I email them again???

Can anyone help or give me a definitive answer? I do completely trust the guy at my LBS as far as building and fixing bikes goes but I'm just not sure he's right about this. That's not to blame him as the amount of different BB's and bearings on offer from FSA is just insane.

Cheers
Bike: 2012 Boardman HT Pro MTB - 21.838lbs / 9.906kg (for now...)

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

They are interchangeable.....remove the old cranks and Install the new cranks. Works the same as FSA road cranks....they are all the same and use the same bearings for bb30.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chucklight

by chucklight

Thank you, definitely what I was thinking.
Bike: 2012 Boardman HT Pro MTB - 21.838lbs / 9.906kg (for now...)