DPX2 vs. X2 vs. Super Deluxe RC3

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Hi,
I´ve bought 160mm enduro bike fitted with RockShox Super Deluxe RC3 Debonair and RockShox Lyrik RC Debonair on the front. The fork I immediately replaced with Fox 36 Factory RC2 and to match the brand I am considering Fox X2/DPX2 rear shock.

Is it worth to upgrade, or RC3 performance would be the same?

Thanks

scant

by scant

it depends on the type of mtb you want to do? The float X2 IS an amazing shock & is exceptional on longer/ rougher downhills. I had a float DPS previously & its a noticeable difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1llum4

by 1llum4

What is the bike ? Would you be someone that will play the additionnal adjustement that the X2 has (high speed compression/rebound) ? I like the DPX2 but the Super deluxe RC3 is no slouch. If weight is not a priority, it could be interesting to look at coil shock if your bike leverage ratio can take it.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

I prefer road bike racing, so my enduro is my only mtb. I´m riding it over all terrains, steep climbs, forest trails, rough downhills, small jumps, drops, etc. RS RC3 seems to be pretty good for my needs, but I´d like to match forks brand...of course only if the upgrade would be notable and worth the money.

My bike is probably unknown here: https://www.ctm.sk/bicykle/full/scroll- ... a/?lang=en
It´s Astro floating suspension frame pretty similar to Mondraker Zeros.

Quoting from their site: ,,FSS (Floating Shock Suspension) is a dual link suspension system that, simultaneuosly pushes the shock from both ends. This system has a very little chain growth, is active during braking, while braking effectivity is fully maintained. FSS System offers full stability and comfort under any circumstances. Even at steep inclines you do not loose any of your pedalling power. FSS also ensures smooth action when descending over rough terrain, even if rear wheel is completely locked under breaking.´´

1llum4

by 1llum4

Because of the shock tunnel, a float X2 might be too big for it. The problem with floating suspension system is that most of the time, the leverage ratio curve flatten out at the end of the travel and don't work too well with linear spring curve of coil shock for bottom out resistance. Sure the DPX2 would match nicely the fork, but it wouldn't be significant upgrade compared to the Super Deluxe RC3. If the link is the actual specs of your bike, I would look more into upgrading the wheels (especially with a better/faster engaging hub) and maybe brakes.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Thanks for advice, I just checked frame dimensions and X2 would be pretty tight because it´s supposed to be installed upside down. DPX2 would surely fit but it seems to offer less peformance and setting options than X2, so it looks like I´ll stay with RC3 unless I´ll find DPX2 trunnion for good price.

About bike specs, immediately after purchase I upgraded fork to Fox 36 RC2 as mentioned yet, along with groupset(upgraded to XX1 Eagle), brakes(Saint), rotors(203/203 RT81) and handlebar(Easton carbon).
What wheel upgrade would you suggest? I considered wheel upgrade too, but it´s hard to find because I need boost on the rear and 15x100 on the front(because of Fox RC2 fork). I was looking at a DT Swiss EX 1501 Spline, but they are expensive considering there´s only better hub and 140g weight saving. Don ´t know how much stiffer they would be.

TheRich

by TheRich

scant wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:39 am
it depends on the type of mtb you want to do? The float X2 IS an amazing shock & is exceptional on longer/ rougher downhills. I had a float DPS previously & its a noticeable difference.
A four way adjustable shock is the finishing touch on a enduro type bike if they're going to be ridden at enduro speeds. Especially the low and high speed rebound adjustments, where a single rebound adjuster leaves a few compromises that you don't fully realize until they're gone. End result is that it eliminates distractions, maximizes grip and allows your attention to be focused elsewhere.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com