To ride, or not to ride?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

qwerpy

by qwerpy

hello,

I just wonder, would anyone here ride on this hub?

I bought my wheels from starbike (good service). I had a damaged drive side endcap since march, not sure why it happened (overtightend? defect?). I asked for help from starbike, kindly they put me through to tune , they said try poshbikes. However, poshbikes do not want to sell me one, although they said in an email they sell them for approx £10, the man I spoke to on the phone (who would not give me his name, I asked on a few occasions, he would not disclose) said the remaining endcaps he has are for their customers rebuilds and suggested I buy a new wheel, or send mine in to be repaired as it is a difficult job, as are many different end caps over the years and with the cost with new freehub I might as well buy a new wheel. I said it was for a mag 190, a drive side end cap and that tune had already ID'd the part, He told me to email him a picture so he could ID the part instead. He would not reply after that to any of my emails. So unfortunately, trust has gone, my £10 sale wasnt enough for them to be interested. (he was very polite though.)

I also have been polite in all my emails . I have said that this issuse is hazordous and could cause an accident to poshbikes and tune. I really have to ride my bike, I cannot afford to get a taxi whilst I wait for a part 'never' to arrive as no one will sell me one.

Will i have to buy a mag hub off ebay to get this part? Or a new wheel? : (

here are some pics.
please concider there is a hair line crack stretching around the (inner) perimiter of the lip of the end cap, you can just about make it out, in the top picture to the right of the cracked aluminium, it has stretched bigger since I last took the wheel off, which really is worrying me. *note this now has a new freehub springs and paws, I bought off starbike last week.

thanks for any advice, maybe you know of a shop that will sell me one?

sstefanov

by sstefanov

I have a redundant endcap which I think is from Tune Kong rear hub (I was sent a front hub with one of the endcaps for a rear hub. Tune quickly fixed that and I have one brand new spare).

Please PM me a drawing with sizes of your current endcap and if they are the same I will send for free.

Stefan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dozer

by Dozer

Looks like a simple part. Maybe you can take it to a local machine shop and they can make a new one without costing too much. Just be up front with them about your expected budget for it.

02GF74

by 02GF74

I can't see the hairline crack but it is probably best not to continue riding. Should the cap fall apart further, the worst case is that the rear wheel moves in the frame and then locks up by the tyre jamming against the frame - not good if you are hurtling 40 mph down a road with traffic.

It should be possible to make a cap - two difficulties are the thread as I assume it screws on to the axles plus the hex hole - the latter can be overcome by a redisgn to have flats so a hub spanner can be used.

Another improvement would be not to have the lip on the circumference as it looks to me that that is what caused the cap to split by drop outs applying pressue when hub is tightend in the frame - most end caps have radial serations.

Assuming the axle has a standard thread, can you not fit an end cap from another hub? The nuts and spacers are easily available; I had an early shimano XT front hub that had a similar shaped end cap.

qwerpy

by qwerpy

sstefanov wrote:I have a redundant endcap which I think is from Tune Kong rear hub (I was sent a front hub with one of the endcaps for a rear hub. Tune quickly fixed that and I have one brand new spare).

Please PM me a drawing with sizes of your current endcap and if they are the same I will send for free.

Stefan

Hi stefan that is very kind of you, I have resent another email to tune, hopefully they will return this messge. otherwise yes please, i shall take my wheel off and get the size, hopefully it is the same type. i'll paypal you a gift for your trouble : )