weight of Specialized Epic Expert wheels (DT Swiss X420SL)

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rolzrex

by rolzrex

Hey guys,
Im having a hard time finding the weight of my stock 09 Epic Expert wheels, so someone on utahmountainbiking.com referred me here. I checked on the wheel weight thread and it wasnt listed. Anyone know the weight of these wheels? They're Custom DT Swiss X420SL's.
Thanks,
Nate

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

They are heavy!

Also, doesn't that model have some piece of junk HG50 cassette? If so, you can save like half a pound by spending $60 and getting an XT.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beeds

by beeds

hi ,i have a spare rear wheel which came on my epic expert ,(dt swiss hub-dt swiss 420sl rim + alloy nipples ) stock item on the bike when new , just weighed it & its 1060 grams :cry: .loads of rear wheels out there which are lighter ie,hope hub + dt swiss xr400 rim 935 grams or if you have the wonga mavic slr 800 ish grams :D .

rolzrex

by rolzrex

hey thanks for the feedback guys!
Briscoelab- the cassette is HG61. You really think I can save that much weight by upgrading to an XT casette?

Beeds- Thanks for that weight clarification. Im looking at the VUELTA USA XRP TEAM SUPERLITE wheelset. They claim 739g front, 863g rear and $300 for the set. Looks like I'll be saving a decent amount of weight with these wheels, and I havent found any negative reviews on them. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
Nate

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

The HG61 is VERY heavy. If you get an 11-32 XT cassette you will save nearly 200 grams. It is the cheapest thing to buy and save a lot of weight. M770 cassettes can be found for ~$65.

crankinstein

by crankinstein

I know this is an old thread, but I am also thinking about the same wheelset and wanted to know how they turned out for you.

Also, I weighed my 420sl's and they came in at F:813/R:1066.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com