Maxxis Ikon 3C 2.2 vs Conti Raceking SS 2.2?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Best All Around Tire

Ikon 3C MaxSpeed 26x2.2
45%
Continental RaceKing SuperSonic 26x2.2
55%

Total votes: 11

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

Maxxis Ikon 3C 2.2 vs Conti Raceking SS 2.2?

Thinking of ordering the Ikons in 26 inch for my project bike - vs the Super sonic RaceKing Black Chili 2.2 any feedback on this?

The Ikon 3C MaxSpeed 26x2.2 120TPI is supposed to weigh 480g which is the same as the Race King SS 26x2.2

Does the Maxxis Ikon 2.2 have the same volume as the conti? Would like same or more volume :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JTX

by JTX

I've had bad luck with Continental tires getting wobbly from blown belts. I've only had that happen with the Protection ones though. They also measure narrower than Maxxis in my experience. I believe the 2 companies measure from different points on the tires so the Continental is actually narrower than advertised.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

There will be a vast difference in volume between the two. The Conti RK SS is a massive, and awesome, tire.

Sacke

by Sacke

I bought a HT 29" about 1,5 months ago that was equipped with 2,2" X-King tires front and rear. (The Race Sport version)

I live in Southern France, where the trails have a lot of sharp lime stone edges that make tire durability very important.

On a local race course for a duathlon (10km trail running + 20km XC), I punctured the rear tire on the first recon ride on the course.

I changed the rear tire for a Race King 2,2" (Race Sport version as well) and converted it to tubeless.

On the second ride on the course, I tore the side wall of the front in a rocky section.

On the third ride, I punctured the rear tire again.

The Race King rear + X-King front combination was blazing fast, but absolutely worthless in terms of durability.

I understand that the Race Sport version is the least protected out of the range, but still.

I bought Maxxis Ikon 3C TR 2,2" (front and rear), but at this time of the year when there is fair amount of damp ground and mud on the trails, the Ikon didn't have enough grip as a front tire.

The Continental tires came in at less than 500g per tire, while the Ikons were 594g each, so there is clear weight penalty. It could be felt in the uphills, but durability was just not sufficient.

I am actually riding a hugely porky Mavic Crossmax Quest 2,35" on the front now, which is 810g!!!!

Went a bit off topic, but if you wonder between RaceKing and Ikon, the RaceKing feels faster, has a little bit less traction in corners (in the dry), but is surprisingly grippy in technical climbs, even when rocks are a bit slippery. As a front tire, the X-King is wonderful!

The Ikons, just like the RaceKings (and other really low tread tires) are very sensitive to finding the right pressure. I noticed that when I ride the rear tire at 1,9 bars in tubeless, the grip is much worse than at 1,8 bars. At 1,6-1,7 bars, I feel the rim taking hits.

I know it's a bit old school already, but the Racing Ralphs, while wearing quickly in rocky terrain, are still an amazing combination of fast rolling and good cornering.

Wow... this turned into a non-structured post. Well, hope you got something out of it. :)
Last edited by Sacke on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

yes - thanks :)

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

@junior7 - but have you compared to the Ikon 3C 2.2 ?

drider85

by drider85

I prefer the Ikon over the Raceking as it had more side knob bite. It also played better tubeless. The hash side wall pattern on the Conti stuff seemed more porous. I have had both on the same rim of a 29er and the Ikon had more volume. I have not had both on in 26 on the same rim to compare volume. Not all tire that are excellent in one wheel side are equal in another.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com