Generic 29er FS frames

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Phill P

by Phill P

I'm thinking about building up a 29er FS bike- and for a bit of fun I'm thinking about a generic 29er 100m travel FS.

What factories make a generic 100mm travel 29er?

Yes would like CF, but not required. Would prefer a design that is durable and stiff, and would prefer a horst link design (ie pivot on chain stay not seat stay).

Reason I'm thinking generic is I may then offer it as a limit volume item with my own branding later on if it is good enough.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spiffomatic

by spiffomatic

so - you want us to do your homework for you so you can ride, then brand and re-sell and make a profit off a cheap chinese 29er FS frame. Good luck. Perhaps just buy from a company that's put in some hard R&D efforts and enjoy the ride?

Phill P

by Phill P

Hmm MTB forum is a lot different to road bike forum. Lots of talk on decent generic road frames over there. Its unlikely I'll end up doing my own bikes, but it is in the back of my mind. I'm developing my own road bike hubs (not off the shelf hubs), and when they are done then MTB hubs, and then when they are done start looking at complete wheels. So it will be some time before I can start thinking about frames.

I know a few companies that do 29ers, just not what I'm looking for. I hoped the friendly WWs crew might help me fine a few more. If I can't find what I'm looking for from a generic company, then yeah I'll start thinking about Giant or Specialized again. I ride a trance and a system6 right now, but would like a 100mm 29er as well.

lordconqueror

by lordconqueror

Have a look through this link about generic FS 29ers on mtbr.

As far as rebranding it goes, FRM is doing it, so no reason why you couldn't if you really wanted to.

Phill P

by Phill P

Thanks, that is a great thread. I still haven't read through the entire thing.

Concentrated on one particular frame, which as you've pointed out has been marketed by some brands name for a huge amount more than the generic Chinese distributors.

But what spiffomatic will be pleased to hear is that the mention of the Santa Cruz Superlight 29er really caught my eye. Frame and shock cost is similar to some of the generic builds, but I know with Santa Cruz's experience the frame and pivots etc will be strong and durable. It only weights half a lb more than the Tallboy carbon, but less than half the price.

In black & green with lots of green ano parts....should look cool.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com