HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Tune hubs
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:32 am 

I am considering Tune hubs for my new wheels. I am reading (both here and elsewhere) that they aren't as reliable as, say, DT Swiss 240s. However, the thread I found in here is from 2010.

Has this not changed? I'd like to hear from someone with firsthand experience. I will be building the wheels with Mcfk carbon 29er wheels.

Post subject: Tune hubs
Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:32 am 
  • 0.65 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 2558 components by tune

Post subject: Re: Tune hubs
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:37 pm 

My Tune hubs are a nightmare. Maybe not the newest version, but quite new and the cost of spares and repairs combined with the abysmal customer service (at least here in the UK) is enough to put me off again, even if they were to mostly work fine. Goldtec make a 100g front hub for £90 with a great reputation which is on my hit list for the front in the future. Rear hubs on my to buy list for the next build are POP (seem very popular and great in use but expensive) or Mack Superlight (cheaper but maybe need to keep an eye on the pawls?). Very light, reliable hubs seem hard to find which is why I've always found myself buying American Classic which are great in use and great value (despite the small bearings which are consumables)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:07 pm 

If you want light and serviceable by yourself, I'd go american classic. I'd stay far from Tune, given the bad reputation of the hubs and customer service.

FYI real weight on dt swiss 240s (centerlock) is not light. I have a set here and my american classic were far lighter, plus you get to use 6 bolts disc and titanium bolts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:52 pm 

I just have built my wheels with Tune hubs (Kong rear and Cannonball front) but I can't give feedback soon as I still miss some parts to my new XX1 setup. But I know a friend that has the same hubs and didn't had any problem last season...
To be honest possibly they wouldn't have been my first choice but I didn't have so many choices (actually pretty none) for a 24 holes hub... :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:10 am 

Anyone have any experience with extralite hubs? I was all set to build a pair of road wheels for my Giant Defy with Tune Prince and Princess hubs but in my quest found the Extralite Cyber SPD. They are actually considerably lighter than Tune hubs.
They make a very light mtb hubset as well called the Hyper. Might be worth a look.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:26 am 

I've got a extralite hyper JF on the front wheel, awesome until now. 84.5 grams, 32h.

Has around 2200 km's, replaced bearings at 2000km because I ride in a lot of mud and rain.

No problems so far, always running smooth, easy to service and tune.

For a rear wheel, I would never buy a very light hub, considering they have to remove the weight from somewhere (usually the freehub body), causing failure. Cheap novatec with 280 grams would do for peace of mind.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:22 am 

Used 3 pairs of Tune hubs before on mtb. 3 Kong, 2 King and 2 Cannonball in total and never had any problems. The new types with 17mm axle of course. On road and on my winterbike now I got 2 pairs of older Mig/Mag with 15mm axle. Works fine too, never had an issue riding in salt all winter.

DT240 is a great hub but if you want to go lighter as I did when I started with Tune then Tune is a great and light hub. I would never go cheap like Novatec on hubs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:07 am 

I too read all the bad stuff about Tune but after much consideration I went for King/King hub (15/12mm) and after 12months I can say FANTASTIC. I think Tune did have issues but the latest King/Kong hubs are really good - bearings are lasting well (on their second UK winter now!) and the freehub is easy to remove and service - reminds me very much of the Hope hubs they replaced in terms of design/build.

However, I purposely bought my hubs from R2 bike in Dresden because I refuse to deal with the UK agent for Tune - Poshbikes, plus R2 are far cheaper and when I did have one issue (which turned out not to be a problem!) I dealt direct with Tune. The owner of Poshbikes is crazy but also quite rude. He flatly ever refuses to acknowledge Tune hubs have ever had any issues and thinks everyone is an idiot, mechanically and says you must NEVER take apart a Tune hub because you do not know what you are doing! All rubbish - Tune direct said the exact opposite.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:33 am 

Thanks for the feedback :) It seems like hit and miss, although maybe the distribution of has shifty towards more hits recently.

I have heard some stories about Poshbikes, but since I'm in Denmark I would always buy from a German dealer over one from the UK (especially now, since the GBP is expensive). Also, exchanged some e-mails with Tune, and they seem like really nice guys!

I would never buy Novatec hubs. A guy I know has almost destroyed a rear hub in less than three months.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:33 pm 

Great point about R2-Bike. They are exceptionally helpful usually. Avoid Poshbikes like the plague. That said when I had a problem with my Speedneedle R2 just forwarded on the email to Tune and Tune were pretty slow and short in their reply.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:03 pm 

On the topic of King/ Kong, maybe some you faced similar issue.
I can say front hub is install and forget - bearings rolling smooth in 3rd season, no issues whatsoever.
However, rear hub is giving me a slight headache.
When the wheel is mounted in the frame, I can feel minimal play when trying to move the wheel in hub axis.
It's like 1-2mm play not causing any issues or influencing ride quality in any way, but it drives me crazy because I can't get rid of it.
The wheel is clamped with Tune quick release on alloy dropouts in a carbon frame.
I have read this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=119081 and added the spacers to the hub, but I can't see any difference.
Wheel is rolling smooth, no issues here.
I was told it might be because of the Tune QR, but I have tried with Mavic and Shimano that supposedly have greater clamping power and it's the same.
Hub is regularly services (2x a year) and I am not riding in wet/ mud/ etc.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:52 pm 

Benno wrote:
Anyone have any experience with extralite hubs?
They make a very light mtb hubset as well called the Hyper. Might be worth a look.

I built a 27.5 wheel set using straight pull 28 h Extralite Hyperhubs, working flawlessly for 8 months.
On light bike carbon rims, cx ray spokes, 1256 gr

Last edited by doccoraje on Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:26 am 

@jaroslaw I think it can only be one of a few things:
1) not enough washers (unlikely I guess)
2) bearing(s) worn out and needs replacement
3) bearing(s) loose fit on axle or in hub bore

I think you'll have to pull it apart and try to investigate. Bear in mind that 1-2mm at the wheel is going to be a much smaller amount at the hub...so you'll just have to use your judgement and see if you can feel or see any undue movement. One sign of an issue with the hub bore would be the bearing coming out with the axle (or if you could pull it out easily by hand)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:52 am 

doccoraje
Awesome, great to hear. I am building my road disc wheels with light bike rims and cx rays. Fairwheelbikes is building them for me. Which rim did you go with? I'm starting to plan my mtb 27.5 build. Thinking about the same build as you with the 35mm rims.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:16 am 

On Tune hubs topic,

I own pre-2010 models. I did not have any issues, many people had.

As fas as warranty/service. I purchased a Tune King/Kong and Prince/Princess hubsets from Starbike. Sold the King/Kong after some time as I have not used it. The new owner had an issue with the freehub later on. Magically a new freehub arrived at my house unexpectedly. Owner contacted me that I should recieve it. Turns out they warrantied the hub but sent the replacement parts to me - the one who purchased it originally. Top notch service from Starbike/Tune for me.

My Prince/Princess hubs are fine, but then again, pre-2010 models.

I like my Extralite hubs too, have a set for over a year now.

Chris.

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:16 am 
  • 0.65 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 2558 components by tune

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next