29er Tires

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

I am looking for advice on 29er tires for a new bike. I will be running them tubeless on stans rims. Probably very low pressure given that I weigh less than 140#. I have a pair of Schwalbe Racing Ralph Snakeskin (610g claimed) and a Pair of Kenda Small Block 8's (580g claimed). I am wondering which would be better or if there is another tire that would be ideal. I want it to roll fast and grip decently well in all conditions. I don't want to need to switch tires. Any Advice?
My Bike:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

Small block 8's are only really good if your riding on extremely smooth tracks, not so much when you need to corner hard or deal with loose stuf. Also didn't know Kenda made tubeless ready tyres?

The racing ralphs are just fantastic, particularly the snakeskin version - light, big volume, grippy, puncture resistant. I just completed a 5 day enduro and at the start line I looked around at the other 200 competitors and almost everyone was using the ralphs, even the sponsored teams had somehow got the ralphs.
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

I have been riding/racing the Bontrager 29-1 Team Issue tire tubeless on Stans rims this year and they are fantastic. Super fast in the hardpack, hook up well in the loose stuff and decent in the mud. They are also pretty light at 485gr.

DavidR1

by DavidR1

The Ralph is a great tire, use the SS version if you have rocks. The Maxxis Ikon is also a good tire, but the Ralph offers a bit more traction in damp conditions. The Ralph offers incredible braking on the rear as well, the 2012 version is even better then the 2011.

Do yourself a favor and throw away that SB8. Terrible tire!

skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to put the ralph's on. I'm thinking of going with stans but I am wondering about Caffelatex. Pros? Cons? Which one seals better and which is lighter?
My Bike:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

Caffelatex is garbage. Use the tried and true Stans sealant.

mikeyg

by mikeyg

Dont know about 29er version but i think saying small block 8 is rubbish is a bit too opinionated for a tyre discussion. Again, dont know about 29er versions, but i the standard non-tubeless KSB8 tyres with sealant.

i prefer small block 8 over ralphs as i feel that they roll faster and have more predictable handling on courners. They dont seem like the tackiest rubber compound though.

I dont bother with stans sealant, its a rip off and doesnt contain any solids/fibres to block large punctures. Have a read up elsewhere on what sealants to use, there are loads forum threads with various sealant tests. Dont use car/motorcycle sealant (i am talking about those emergency fix bottles, not the green gloop), some of these contain highly toxic ethlyene glycol, they are also a 'one use' sealant which wont peel out your tire (i have tried it).

I would suggest having two sets of tyres at least. I have done the whole, using one set of tyres for a whole race season thing, it doesnt work. If its the whole taking the tyre on and off problem, then if you are using well fitted tubeless tires it wont be a problem you can prob pump them up with a mini-pump (i have pumped up converted non-tubeless tires with a mini pump before). If you are using tubeless conversion tires, then just take a high volume pump and plenty of sealant and you will be ok. If you are going to use one set for everything, then something like ralph on the rear and rocket ron on the front. but rocket ron is going to handle rubbish in very dry hardpack/rocky conditions.

sh33mon

by sh33mon

Prefer the Ikons to the Racing Ralphs, though the latter are pretty great in slightly damp conditions.

nspace

by nspace

Ralphs and Stans Sealant. Can't comment on the Snakeskin versions, have been using the EVO tubeless ready tires with no puncture issues that have made me want the added weight for the snakeskin sidewalls. Love these tires!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com