Which 29er alu rims? TN317 x TN719 x X470?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LegalizeMyCannondale

by LegalizeMyCannondale

29er wheel project for a Cannondale with Lefty, not tubeless, would like to use the same wheelset for training and XC marathon.

Which alu rims to get? Mavic TN719, TN317, or DT X470? Or else?

As I said, I won't be running tubeless tires. Would prefer a rim with eyelets. I am a 150lbs rider.
Wish there was a "Mavic Open Pro" equivalent when it comes to 29er MTB rims...

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

Stans Flow rims.

Why no love for tubeless?
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LegalizeMyCannondale

by LegalizeMyCannondale

Thanks for your reply.

Not into the tubeless setup, sorry :(
Had a Mavic Crossmax tubeless a while ago - can't remember the tire - and it was very hard to install and remove the tire...

eurperg

by eurperg

Is there somebody still using inner tubes? UST is also dead...

Notubes rims are so good that it's unfair...

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

LegalizeMyCannondale wrote:Had a Mavic Crossmax tubeless a while ago - can't remember the tire - and it was very hard to install and remove the tire...

The Crossmax is UST, a system that has been recognised as inferior compared to Stans setups as eurperg said.

Agreed, tubeless is a little bit fiddly - but once you find tyres that work with your rim you wont ever look back. E.g. I find I have to run at least 35psi in tubes to avoid pinching - on tubeless I safely run 22 front and 26 rear. The difference in ride quality really is incomparable.
Last edited by Asymptotic on Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I am also a Stan's fan. Probably you aren't going to get a lot of good advice on tubed setups here since most on this forum are probably running tubeless. I haven't used a tube in a Mountain tire in about 4-5 years.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

jooo

by jooo

Even if you're using tubes there is nothing to stop you from running NoTubes rims, the ArchEX would probably be perfect if you're looking in that weight range.

Pacenti also have the TL28 which is lighter and wider than the rims you've listed. A couple of new models are coming out this month also.

IMO Mavic XC rims are at the bottom of the pile, Heavy and kinda dated with narrow inner widths.

A few other options would be WTB's new lines and FRM/BOR rims.

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

Another vote for Stans Flow rims - good value and tubeless ready as well if you decide to go that way.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

LegalizeMyCannondale

by LegalizeMyCannondale

Thank you guys so much for the feedback. It looks like I need to re-consider running tubeless, and Stans rims are the way to go!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

Don't worry if you don't feel like trying tubeless to start. Yellow tape used to seal the spoke bed is still one of the lightest rim tapes around and Stan's rims still work great with tubes. Much of the benefit you get from the tubeless setups are still there using Stan's with tubes, albeit in a slightly reduced fashion. They have a wider inner width than many rims of similar outside widths which still helps you support a much larger volume tyre and drop the pressures much closer to a tubeless setup compared with say a 17mm inner width Mavic.