Modifying a mtb shifter to work with road derailleur

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Benno

by Benno

Okay this question is very specific, I don't need a bunch of off-topic answers. Anyone know if I can switch the nylon shifter cable pulley so that I have a 9sp pulley in a 10sp shifter? If possible one could run a 10sp mtb shifter with 10sp road derailleur. Or am I dreaming....

crohnsy

by crohnsy

For shimano, I believe you are dreaming...

If your wish is to run a flatbar mtb shifter with a road dérailleur, SRAM is your best bet..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

You are not dreaming. Swithching the pulley probablywontwork, but back in the day we constantly used dura ace derailleurs on our 9 and 8 speed systems. Just mount a 10 speed cassette on your bike check if the road der has the needed throw and go ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

maxxevv

by maxxevv

You just need these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=35084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Frankie - B wrote:You are not dreaming. Swithching the pulley probablywontwork, but back in the day we constantly used dura ace derailleurs on our 9 and 8 speed systems. Just mount a 10 speed cassette on your bike check if the road der has the needed throw and go ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Frankie, the Dynasys mtb 10 spd and road 10spd are not compatible with each other.

maxxevv wrote:You just need these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=35084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Totally forgot about shimanos flatbar shifters

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Whoa, that is a oity, thanks for giving me the info. I read somewhere else that they changed the pull ratio. Is that correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Road 10 speed use the same pull ratio as road/mtb 9 speed, it is only mtb 10 that is different.

So you can run a 10 speed on an MTB using a road flatbar 10 speed shifter and a 9 (or 8!) speed mtb rear mech or an 8/9/10 road rear mech, obviously you have to select the mech to cope with the gear size/range in your cassette.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Benno

by Benno

Thanks for the answers. The one question I asked though is still an "I don't know" so I guess I will try it for myself. I'll post the results.

socratease

by socratease

Your second question is a no. You can't run a 10 speed mtn shifter with a 10 speed road derailer, from either flavor, at least as far as 100% compatability goes; who knows about trying different cable routing positions. I don't know what your first question is talking about, so I'm assuming other people don't either, which is why it hasn't been responded to.

One thing to keep in mind is that some riders care more about crappy shifting than others. A customer came in on a really wonky bike friday that came (from the factory presumably) with campy record 10 shifters and a force rear derailer. I said to myself "this can't work!" while I initially shifted it in the stand, and it seemed to work. The more I played with it, the more I realized it didn't really work, at least, not like you'd want high-end road componentry to.

Benno

by Benno

I appreciate the replies and discussion but there was only ever one question.

"Anyone know if I can switch the nylon shifter cable pulley so that I have a 9sp pulley in a 10sp shifter?"

Might be a couple months before I can get my hands on the parts but I'll post up with a result. The more I think about it the more I think it will be possible. Stay tuned...

maxxevv

by maxxevv

The mounting between the 9 speed and 10 speed pulleys are unlikely to match even if you can get them separately.

indrek
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by indrek

didn't want to make a new thread, but similar question: would my sram X7 (2x10) shifters work with force front & rear derailleurs?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Yes, SRAM didn't mess things up like Shimano did!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com