Scalpel 29er

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TTP

by TTP

Any member here own a Scalpel 29er? Impressions please? Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sovereign

by sovereign

A few are starting to receive theirs over here: http://forums.mtbr.com/cannondale/anyone-seen-scalpel29er-shops-yet-748380.html

Perhaps you have seen that thread and are seeking WW opinions, but anyway, there it is...

L3X

by L3X

Dutch reviews didnt seem to like it as a racing bike but it was awesome in every other way.

utahjoe

by utahjoe

Just picked my 2 up on saturday. Took it apart to swap some things over from my epic, so it will be another week or so until I get to ride it.

TTP

by TTP

utahjoe wrote:Just picked my 2 up on saturday. Took it apart to swap some things over from my epic, so it will be another week or so until I get to ride it.

Would like to get your impressions once you ride it. ie...pedaling efficiency, bobbing, brake jack, sluggish, nimble, etc. I already have a Stumpjumper Carbon 29er but was looking for a dual sus 29er. My short list: Scalpel 29er, Pivot 429, Turner Sultan, or waiting for the Ibis 29er.

nathanbal

by nathanbal

TTP wrote:
utahjoe wrote:Just picked my 2 up on saturday. Took it apart to swap some things over from my epic, so it will be another week or so until I get to ride it.

Would like to get your impressions once you ride it. ie...pedaling efficiency, bobbing, brake jack, sluggish, nimble, etc. I already have a Stumpjumper Carbon 29er but was looking for a dual sus 29er. My short list: Scalpel 29er, Pivot 429, Turner Sultan, or waiting for the Ibis 29er.

thats a bizarre combo. why is the scalpel amongst the other 3 bikes? they are trail bikes... not race bikes. The Scalpel sits alongside the Epic, Superfly, etc.

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

If you want a XC bike....another option would be the NIner Jet 9 RDO (carbon)

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

TTP wrote:Any member here own a Scalpel 29er? Impressions please? Thanks

please link to :

http://eliflap.wordpress.com/2012/01/07 ... er-report/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumbup:

in italian and english

jmartpr wrote:If you want a XC bike....another option would be the NIner Jet 9 RDO (carbon)

maybe this Scalpel is for XC too ....
http://eliflap.it/

utahjoe

by utahjoe

Im cutting and pasting my review of my scalpel two from MTBR...I apologize if you are having to re-read it.

Ok despite having no brakes, I decided to hack something together and finally take my bike out for its first ride. Only set of brakes I had laying around was a set of old maguras from my karate monkey...they are too short and pretty beat, but they worked for now.

My current bike is a 2010 Epic 29er marathon and for 2 years I have been very happy with it. I have put about 3500 miles on it..done everything from cyclocross racing, 60 mile road rides, XC racing, endurance racing, downhill runs...pretty much everything. Its been an awesome bike and I really have very few complaints about it. So while I thought I would like the scalpel, I wasnt sure that it would blow me away compared to my Epic.

I took it to my favorite local spot that has a good amount of technical rock gardens, some decent climbs and some fast downhills. First thing I noticed on the mile long rail bed trip into the trail was that I did not notice the brain not being there. The rear just does not bob. I didnt bother to look at which of the 3 setting was the stiffest, so I just left it in the middle for a while. Felt fine. First section of trail I hit was a technical rocky climb and the bike was impressive and felt glued to the ground. compared to epic, the front end felt more planted and not as easily knocked offline. One thing I always loved about my Epic was how solid it felt when you were out of the saddle climbing. I tried this a number of times with the scalpel and I couldn't tell the difference. Feels very solid.

Downhill is where this bike most impressed me. The lefty is far better on rocky descents then the reba on my epic. Absolutely flies downhill.

In the technical bits, again it was impressive. Had no issues with the slow rolling rocky portions of the ride. This was something my epic did really well so I was hoping that the scalpel would be at least as good. I felt it was better. Im not sure of how the bb height compares to my epic, but it didnt feel as low. The scalpel does feel like it is easier to hustle over bigger logs...say like knee high.

I would say that turning feels about the same and I loved how the epic turned.... but when you factor in how well the lefty stays planted to the ground, I definitely felt that the scalpel was faster. Loved it.

In all I think its very much like my epic, but in every area, improved. Faster, climbs better, descends better....No complaints. Im really looking forward to swapping some lightweight parts onto it. As of now, the only things I have changed are the bars, hollowgram cranks, and tires. Brakes as well...but my R1's are not in yet.

First rock garden.

Adding to this ride...Yesterday I followed it up with a 33mi, 4.5 hour ride though just about every type of terrain. rocky technical single track, big climbs, pavement.....Very happy. Again...everything good my epic does, this bike takes it a step further.

legsrburnin

by legsrburnin

I noticed how much you commented on the feel of the Lefty.

That fork (strut technically) has saved my ass more times than I care to count.

Lefty heaven!
Lefty heaven

Cashman

by Cashman

Hi Guys
I rode my Scalpel for the 1st time last weekend. Even though its the 1st time I've ridden a MTB in 15 years and the tracks I rode where predominatly Fire trails (I took it easy 1st ride out of MTB retirement), I know that the Scalpel 29er was the right decision. :thumbup:

I'm thinking of eventually upgrading Rear Cluster, Front Mech and eventually brakes to XX (just because and to save a little weight).

I weighed the bike out of the box with pedals and tubes and it weighed 11.3kg.

The seatpost might get swapped out for a Masterpiece and the saddle may be replaced for my usual (roadie) Selle Italia Carbonio Flow.

I want to see how the Furios Fred tyres will track. I'm quite confident in my skills so a little loss of traction doesn't concern me too much. Maybe I'll try it on the rear only to start or just for races.

I will give the grips a little longer but my first impression was that they are hard and my hands hurt after a while. It may be that Im just soft from so many years on the road?
Cashman
Baum Corretto - Sram eTap (until I can get 12s Dura ace
Kavenz VHP16 - XT 12s
Revel Rascal- XTR 12s

cero

by cero

Cashman - very nice bike!
I thought that 11.3 kg is for the scalpel 2 and not 1. This is kind of heavy isn´t it?

utahjoe

by utahjoe

I have swapped a few parts on my scalpel 2 and now its 24.3lbs with pedals.

Things I have changed so far:
Hollowgram crankset
foam grips
R1 brakes
remove tubes

I also had the bike stripped down and weighed some of the stock parts.

Saddle 217
tubes 245 ea
grips 45 ea
x9 brakes, rotors, bolts, mounting bolts and front bracket: 825
seat post: 298
cassette: 353
front wheel: 825
rear wheel: 1015
crankset: (no bearings) 664
bars: 183
tires: 617, 619

So swapping out the wheelset/saddle/seat post/cassette should knock a couple of pounds off it it. But so far im pretty happy. Stock, with tubes it was still a pound lighter than my epic was with quite a few mods.

Farnit

by Farnit

scalpel is one of the best bike ever

TTP

by TTP

May carbon 2 is on order. Can't wait. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com