Help with wheelbuild (240/Alpine)

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ostetorben

by ostetorben

Hi all

I hope you can give me some advice; I have a set of DT 1540 wheels with a bend rear rim but perfect hubs; I also have bought some Notubes Alpine rims.

All in 28 whole configuration.

I am about 68 kg plus gear.

This is for my Anthem X, I have another bike for more AM stuff. So normal XC trail, but plenty of roots (lots of pine)!

I wonder if a set can be built on the hubs, that will be strong enough for "everyday" use?

What spokes would you choose? Alu or brass nipples (my wheelsmith says that alu will become impossible to work on after some time due to corrosion)?.

The alternative is to drop it and build a set on Chris King/Arch EX in 32H, but if what I can can be made stron enough, I would prefer that solution of course. Way lighter + cheaper since I have the parts.

What do you think? Plenty strong? Build spec advice?

Hope you will help :-)

Best regards, Morten

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cakiss

by cakiss

HI, yes it would be strong enough, i have dt swiss 240s hubs, no tubes alpine rims, dt alu nipples and dt revo spokes, and i am 78kg +gear, i use them for training and for racing too, have them for two years and never had any issues. :D hope that would help you, oh yes whole wheel set is 1330gr

ostetorben

by ostetorben

Thx - would that be 28H too?
What would be the difference between using, say, Revolution, Aerolite or CX-Ray spokes ( or otherwise recommended)? Do not need "aero", but need light, strong, stiff :-)

cakiss

by cakiss

No, my are 32, Revos are light stiff and strong, i would go with revos

socratease

by socratease

Depends, of course, on how strong you want them. I would go with plain competition spokes on alpine rims: at least on the drive side. Stan's rims typically don't build up a round or even tensioned as their heavier competitors do, and cant hold as high a spoke tension, which you'll need w/ 28 hole.

As far as alu-nipples: you'll get 2 years out of them, maybe longer, maybe less. A lot of people will be on different wheel in 2 years. If you're in a rocky area where you're getting a fair amount of rim strikes, itd be pretty easy to beat those rims up in two years. If you don't want to have to rebuild them in the forseeable future, go with brass.

In the end, If you don't typically beat up on wheels--go with a lighter build. If you like d-stroying wheelsets, id stick with db spokes, however, then the alpine might not be your best option.

ostetorben

by ostetorben

Well, no rocks here and I am a nimble rider; my builder suggested a mix of competition/revolution drive/non-drive side to get proper tension. I think I will go with that - it is also kinda in line with the above comments.

Thank you for the input!

Best regards, Morten

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com