What tire:race with loose, sharp rock /river beds & fast 4WD

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Hey all.

Some advice please.

I've entered in a 125km XC race that has 30km tarmac at the start but mostly on gravel roads and 4wd tracks. However the race is around an alpine lake with lots of loose and sharp rock on the roads plus several wide braided river crossings that have large areas of loose rock.

I've not done the race before but have heard that side wall cuts can be a problem. It's high country / far from civilisation stuff so pretty keen to have a reliable but fast tire combination. Tough ask for speed but given the long fast sections I'd like to avoid a slow rolling tire but not at the cost of durability.

So far I'm thinking of Maxxis Ikon Exo (the one with the extra side wall protection) for the rear and maybe for the front too. Running tubeless. Other option for the front could be Rocket Ron, because of its strength over the loose but I'm concerned about side wall cuts from the loose rock.

Thoughts?

Cheers

GJ

jamespierce

by jamespierce

Racing Ralph full UST.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Sounds like you want a Schwalbe with the kevlar side wall reinforcing......available in a number of tread patterns.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

Rocket Ron = long walk to finish line.

I ride on similar terrain to you and barely get a single ride out of the RR's - there's a reason even the RR evo 2.25 29 weighs 460g.

jamespierce wrote:Racing Ralph full UST.

^^^ Best comment and ~100g lighter / tyre then the Ikon.
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

Starla

by Starla

Totally agree with jamespierce. Schwalbe sidewalls are paperthin.

2011/12 I've been using Maxxis xc Advantage USTs as my summer/all-rounders on 2 bikes (one UST rims, one Stans rims), and 3 of my friends do as well - a truely awesome tyre. Maxxis Crossmark USTs are excellent summer tyres as well, maybe more sidewall protection. Great rolling, and great when it's rocky, but not good in mud.

Good Luck !