Finally, a functional extralight centerlock rotor

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

I have always seen opinions and comments that there is actually no light, functional, well performing centerlock rotors. Shimano splines user has been left only with one or two choices.

Now it's time to change that. I want to present truly full floating centerlock rotors from absoluteBLACK. Absoluteblack - lightest centerlock rotors

hard data:
Mass: 95g +/-1g
Spider: aircraft spec. solid billet cnc machined 7075 T651 aluminium
Spider Finish: type II anodizing, black
Rotor: martensitic 420 stainless steel, laser cut, grinded, vacuum heat treated, 1.7mm thick
Bolts: custom M4, Ti6Al4V (grade 5) titanium

It is actually first true full floating rotor in the bicycle industry. This means that friction ring has constant controlled ability to move from side to side and expand when heated. This greatly reduce squeal in wet problems, damps harmonic vibrations and prevents thermal distortion or warping.

* this rotor is the lightest centerlock rotor in the world, but still maintain greater braking surface than any light iso rotor.

* this is actually the first rotor where you can get the friction ring off by yourself and change to any other on our site (currently 2) - no company offer that and we are already prototyping even lighter ones to offer in the future.

* 160mm and 180mm rotors will maintain same spider, so there is no need to buy whole rotor if you decide to go up with size. You can buy friction ring for 25% of the cost of complete rotor. (180 will be available soon)

* almost rub free design as friction ring can move side to side between pads.

* reduced squeal in wet - same reasons as above. In practice you can see(hear) a significant difference riding with these compared to hope floating, shimano xtr or new formula centerlock.

You can watch a small teaser of it's performance here:
http://youtu.be/mJqD3hz9UaA?hd=1

More photos, some answers to ongoing discussion here:
http://www.light-bikes.de/forum/showthr ... a8&t=19601
(topic is mostly in german language, but all my answers are in english)

if you have any questions or concerns just let me know. There is also tons of information on our site, so i strongly recommend to go there for answers first. Absoluteblack - lightest centerlock rotors

Marcin
absoluteBLACK

Last edited by tehan on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Very cool and sexy looking too!

How much lighter are these vs the same size of 2011+ XTR assemblies?

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

RedRacer wrote:Very cool and sexy looking too!

How much lighter are these vs the same size of 2011+ XTR assemblies?

Hi RedRacer, new xtr in 160mm size weights 114/115g and 8g for lockring.
Mine usually come up with 92/93g + 5.7g lockring. ( i have sent to german magazin a rotor which is 90.8g)

But weight is a bit lees important here. These actually perform better as they are full floaters. You can see how they do in wet test on my movie. I have tried many different rotors in my life and none was so quiet. Braking power is also on par with XTR.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

Tehan: finally a production item!

I applaud these efforts!

But a party pooper here:

Have you a registered VAT name and paying tax for your income?
I don´t know how your country tax regulations is.
But I recommend to solve these issues first before playing on the big drum.
Experimental Prototype

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Mattias Hellöre wrote:Tehan: finally a production item!

I applaud these efforts!

But a party pooper here:

Have you a registered VAT name and paying tax for your income?
I don´t know how your country tax regulations is.
But I recommend to solve these issues first before playing on the big drum.

Hi Mattiass,
Thanks for good words. It wasn't easy but finally made it.

As to formal side. Yes i am in the process of doing so.

njee20

by njee20

It is actually first true full floating rotor in the bicycle industry. This means that friction ring has constant controlled ability to move from side to side and expand when heated

Like Hope?

I agree that 'floating' is used synonymously for all the 2-piece rotors like Shimano/Avid etc, but surely Hope ones are proper floating rotors, and didn't Magura do some for that matter!?

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Hi,
"Hope floating" is actually semi-floating design. Same terminology is in motorbike industry.

All rivet style rotors like Hope floating, 2-piece Formula R1 or Carbon-Ti are actually semi-floating designs. Friction ring does not have any ability to move when cold or just slightly heated, which means they perform in cold or wet conditions like standard rotors. They start working as floating ones, when friction ring is hot enough to expand. This puts some stresses into the rotor when heating up or cooling down.

AbsoluteBLACK rotors from the other hand, have constant controlled ability to move sideways and expand when heated. This solves mostly squealing in wet problems, damps harmonic vibrations and prevents thermal distortion or warping.

Big companies tend to change name semi-floating to floating as it sounds better. But it's not the same.

I have been a long time user of Hope race rotors and few others and i can assure you that there is a significant difference in performance and sound while braking. A specially compared to hope race.

thanks

njee20

by njee20

Fair enough!

Martin.F

by Martin.F

I'm more interested in the 6-bolt! Lighter than Innolite, and under 140£. Would looove to try some of those.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

These look really nice. Good luck with your enterprise. :D

Just one thing, from a legal standpoint in the UK, I believe that you have to have your full business address on your website. I wouldn't bee too keen on purchasing parts from a supplier with just a mobile telephone number for contact.

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, I'll bite. I don't see pricing on your site. How do I order a pair?

Farnit

by Farnit

Finally a light centerlock rotor

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Stephen - thanks. As i wrote to Mattias - it's in the process right now.

Geoff- i assume that you use "strange" browser. Please try to use Firefox 9 or higher or opera > 10 or even IE8 or higher. It's all visible and you will be amazed how site looks like. I am sorry that i couldn't manage to build my site to work under 130 different combinations of OS and browsers as this is a huge task and i am not that literate in building sites:)

thanks

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

Hi,
So, i have not been here for a while as i have been working on something new.

I am now preparing to test new iso rotors. I should have them on my site in few months as only thing to test is spider (other parts have proved themselves with centerlock rotor).

These have exactly same full floating system for mounting the friction ring(rotor) as my centerlock ones. So bolts and friction rings are interchangeable between iso and centerlock spider.

The idea behind them is that you can swap spiders whenever you want to fit iso or centerlock system.

160mm iso rotor is 81g, so 11g less than centerlock. Same spider can accommodate as well 180mm friction ring(rotor). So if you want to move to 180mm you just need to buy a friction ring which is 30% of the whole disc price.
These should retail for £110.

click on picture to get full size.

tehan
in the industry

by tehan

HI again,
Here is the video showing really long descend on Madeira. So you can see how rotor performs in high temps.

https://vimeo.com/42298159

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com