ride quality of Giant NRS vs. Scott Spark?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nrsnow

by nrsnow

I'm a Giant NRS owner, and I'm looking to switch to a Scott Spark, mainly weight saving purposes. Will the ride quality suffer, or improve? Or how is the Scott Spark ride quality?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theremery

by theremery

It's like comparing a bar stool to a couch.
NRS is comfy and goes well. Steady steering and handling is good. Not as quick a bike as the spark for most situations (I'd prefer the NRS on a long day adventuring over tough terrain though).
Spark is a race bike. Firm, fast great handling when really pushing it. Struggles a bit over the really nasty stuff (not what it's really designed for). Flat and smooth?Spark wins. Hilly and smoothish? Spark wins.
Periodically called to do a bit of "all mountain" duty? Keep the NRS.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

socratease

by socratease

A modern spark? I'm not familiar with all of the iterations of the NRS bikes, but a lot of current frame designs might impress you

You're in for a treat, then. Full suspension bikes have come a long way even in the last few years, at least from a strictly ride-quality standpoint. If you run enough sag, you shouldn't suffer in the comfort department either, but you'll get a bike that pedals and steers better.